Research Reflection

My process for doing academic research has changed since the beginning of the semester by being able to work with the community through research. An example of doing this is when our class took several days by creating surveys that were ethically correct. These surveys were then distributed to Nottoway, Cumberland, and Prince Edward counties in Virginia. The process in which I conduct research has changed significantly in the better as I now look and see how research can have an effect on individual’s lives.

My process for evaluating and selecting sources for my research was based on examining credible sources of information to use in my paper. A specific example is when I had to find sources for the literature review. I had to incorporate peer-reviewed sources that were important to this application in the research. Since the beginning of this course, I have also learned the ethical principles behind research on what phrases and processes are correct when addressing the audience, which in our case this semester was the parents and the children. An example when doing this process is when we as a class took a whole week and designing questions for the survey. After turning in my annotated bibliography, I did not add dor change sources for the final assignment.

Challenges that not only I but the entire class encountered was the low number of surveys that were returned. In the first series, we only received nineteen of eighty-six surveys. In the second series, the number increased to thirty-one surveys received. The issue of this when trying to analyze the data, there was not a lot of measures which is crucial in social research when attempting to understand an issue, which in this particular case, was parent involvement with their child/children. The second challenge that arose was having to write a literature review. Prior to the beginning of this course, I had never written a literature review which made that particular assignment originally tough. Over time, it became easier as I followed the necessary steps. From completing this research as a whole, I feel more prepared for what is to come in the future in terms of classes at Longwood or in relation to a job.

Strategies that we used to overcome the issue of receiving surveys back was the incentive of incorporating a $5 gift card to Walmart. This was stapled on the front of the survey to influence the decision on the parents completing the surveys. A strategy I used to help with the difficulty of writing the literature review was using the writing center. Being my first time writing one, I wanted to make sure that I was completing the assignment correctly. I took the time to carefully read the directions on the syllabus in terms of what do for the literature review. I spent several hours in the library trying to find credible sources to use in that particular section to build a strong and well-built literature review that ultimately supports my entire paper as a whole.

My attitudes and perceptions about doing research have changed over the course of the semester for the better. Prior to the beginning of the course, I felt confident that being a junior at a University, I could conduct research. At certain points in the research process this semester, there were areas of weaknesses that were exposed. At first, I was not very content; however, now being the end of the semester, I am glad on what occurred because not only did it make me a better researcher, but also a better person by helping out families in Head Start. From all the research that has been done this semester, I feel much more confident then I did prior to the beginning of this course.

When I think about the research I have done this semester along with what it means to “Think Like a Researcher”, I have learned that it is best to get all of the information you can get. What that means is that to have the best outcome and results within social research, it is best to have all outlets together which ultimately creates unique and well-built social research. Throughout the semester, I have realized that there is more to research than I have originally thought beforehand. In each step of the process, I have learned to look at all angles and to think critically on what is best not only for myself as a researcher but also for the community as well. For instance, when we put together the finalized survey, we as a class took the time to figure out what type of questions are ethically presentable to the parents/children.