Data Analysis

After doing tons of research on choice in the classroom and how it encourages students to participate in activities, I have collectively realized that it’s not just nice to have it’s necessary. I have seen first hand how choice can motivate a student and ultimately help them academically. When working with a student one on one during my partnership at Cumberland Middle school I saw my tutoring student grow in the way she read, how she learned, and her confidence. The articles, textbooks, and data I collected all point to how choice has positive impacts on students. Although my research question has changed since the beginning it has stayed within the same barriers. My observations alone have showed me that students want to have a choice when it comes to their academics and when they’re given the opportunity they behave better, are motivated, and engaged. The articles I read showed how choice was something that needed to be included in the classroom, but in meaningful ways. When students are given choices that revolve around aspects that don’t have any meaning or true choice in their academics they can tell and don’t feel as validated. 

As a future teacher I can’t wait to implement choice into my teaching. Of course there may be times where I can’t possibly think that I can give my students a choice, but this experience has shown me that there can be and I just have to look at it in a different way. I have also learned that my students can even propose their own ideas of choice when I’m stuck. Since I’ve seen my students shut down for these proposals I have learned to be flexible and open to suggestions. I want my classroom to be student centered instead of teacher centered. When a classroom is teacher centered then the teacher is the one making all the decisions and running the show, she’s teaching the students. When a classroom is student centered the students run the show and they’re learning! I will also take the aspect of student themed activities as a way to bond better with my students. If I know that my students are enjoying a tv show or movie then I can base a game off of them and that will engage my students to learn.