ENGL 483 – Elementary School Writing

How can I develop an appreciation for writing amongst my future students?

As teachers you may notice that when you assign that traditional research paper in your classroom that you may lookout around to see all of your students looking like this. This look of pain and suffering coming from your students is most likely due to the monotonous rotation of research papers that your students are finding themselves stuck dealing with. Though research papers may be beneficial and essential in some cases, the amount that you assign within your classroom should be kept to a minimum. There are so many other ways that you can lead your students to conduct various assignments that are equally, if not more, successful than having your students research a particular topic and demonstrate the knowledge that they have gained which will consequently result in a more enjoyable and memorable experience with writing.

Going through school, my teachers would always assign research papers like discussed above and on rare occasions I had teachers that would allow our class a little freedom and the ability to take the writing assignment into our own hands. This change in instruction was definitely refreshing; however, it was much harder on us as students because we had become so accustomed to having someone tell us what to do.

As future elementary teachers we can take the knowledge that we have gained from our various courses here at Longwood, as well as our prior knowledge from the experiences we had as students ourselves in order to develop at an early age a greater appreciation within our students for writing prior to their arrival at the age where mandated research papers are more essential to the writing process.

(I wanted to ensure my script was good prior to recording all of this in an audio recording)

posted by Brooke Harris in Uncategorized and having 2 Comments

2 comments

1. Comment by Whitney Jones on September 14, 2018 at 11:16 am

It’s a good start and I like the meme. However, you’re supposed to have 3-4 separate pieces of writing so you need at least one more.

2. Comment by Abigail Deguzman on September 17, 2018 at 10:19 am

Brooke, I loved the way you incorporated the meme, and based your blog on the meme. I like that you used humor in talking about that its what students look/feel like when they are told to write a research paper. I would maybe consider thinking about changing the format or placement of the picture. Possibly making the picture centered, or making it so that the text flows better around the picture!