Internship

This spring semester I had an opportunity to work in Longwood University’s Marketing and Communications department as the Social Media Coordinator Specialist. As Intern, a few of my responsibilities were as the following: 

· Monitor social media for user-generated content about Longwood. 

· Work with campus contacts to coordinate takeover for Snapchat and Instagram stories.

· Work with campus contacts to discover story opportunities.

· Collect content and generate weekly Snapchat and Instagram stories to share campus events. 

· Participate in additional brainstorming and tasks for other marketing initiatives as needed.

Achievements:

Many of my achievements from this semester internship derived from my participation in student selection for content creation used for Longwood University posting. I have created content implemented by a minority organization on campus called “TrueBlue,” a stomp and shake cheer group that builds sister-like bods within a team that does more than cheer. In my internship I have reached out to The president of TrueBlue and ask them to perform a cheer piece that encouraged seniors and students to strive for academic excellence within these last couple of days. My job was to create a Tik Tok in there honor for the Longwood University page. Attached, is the raw footage of the TrueBlue cheer.

TrueBlue encouragement video for Longwood University Tik Tok: These ladies with the video have created a cheer called “Get that Degree,” this cheer was created to motivate an support the seniors preparing for graduation as their last days approach.

A few skills that I possess that will help me become much more useful to the internship is, being proficient in Various social media platforms. Such as Instagram, Tik Tok, Snap Chatt, Facebook, and Twitter. I have worked with these platforms for a long while, so I partially have a better understanding of such platforms as is. With that, I will use my creativity skills in diversity and inclusivity to help the Longwood University Communication and Marketing department grow in a much more guided and positive direction.

Being that my internship is remote, I find the easiest way to conduct work at my internship is by working in a “work environment.” These are photos of me conducting work and creating content for my internship.

Another photo working at my internship. I truly enjoy working from my own personal space.

Since the start of my Internship with the Marketing and Communications Department I have learned an array of various new topics. I have learned how to properly communicate in the most non-controversial way possible in regards to social media. With that I have learned more in depth details about timely and scheduled social media postings through the use of Tweet Deck and Mish Guru. With these platforms I have also learned how to find engaging and important information to post. For example I have learned how to capture and create posts with relevant and exciting information for Longwood’s audience.

I have truly faced many challenges. However, in the end I have achieved the biggest goal… Experience.

This internship helped me realize the everlasting love I have for Communications studies, digital media, and the COMMunity as a whole. I truly love Working on digital Media content, especially when I am able to use my knowledge and skill to help diversify and include underrepresented individuals on campus. I enjoyed having a supervisor who encouraged me to be creative and stay authentic within this internship. Rather that was showing my creativity through captioning and student content selection meant more to me than I would have thought. With that being said, I realize that I truly enjoy using my creative voice to help promote diversity and inclusivity in many marketing departments. Therefore, this internship gave me the opportunity to learn that I want to find a career that I can truly enjoy by helping those in need by using my creative voice.

For that, I am forever grateful!