Reflection on Statistics

Throughout the course of the semester, beginning from January to May of 2020, my knowledge in doing academic research has grown tremendously. From the very beginning of the semester to the very end, I have obtained knowledge of the many processes in how to form a research question, collect, analyze, and recode data. I have thus gained knowledge in how to interpret collected data by using SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) and Rstudio (integrated development environment). In the use of obtaining this form of knowledge and processes, I have thus been able to interpret the two-semester long research question does at home activities improve parental involvement?

In evaluating the collected data, I was able to use several statistical tests to interpret if there were any significance in the results, if the collected data supported the research question, and if it rejected the hypothesis. In doing so, several tests were used through the use of SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) and Rstudio (integrated development environment). Several of the test used included ANOVA, Chi-Squared, and Pearson’s Correlation. In the use of determining which test to use, was based on the evaluation of the qualitative and quantitative questions from the survey given to the participants.

There were several challenges that were encountered through the course of the semester when analyzing and interpreting data. One of the several challenges encountered included using hand calculations for the findings of Chi-Squared and the findings of ANOVA. This became a challenge as mistakes were made in the calculations which resolved in redoing the hand calculations. Continuing, another challenge encountered was the process of recoding, as this process can be very challenging and time consuming. In order to have overcome these encountered challenges, I thus would often times ask my professor for further help, which included phone calls and office visitations. Furthermore, I would also ask my fellow classmates for help in the subject matter, which has thus improved my communications skills as well.

Throughout the semester, I must say that my attitudes, perceptions, and confidence level have thus changed. From the very beginning of the semester, I was frightened in collecting research, analyzing, and interpreting data. This is strongly due to this being my very first research study and being inexperienced in doing such. As the semester continued, I became more confident as my attitudes and perceptions changed due to asking the professor for help when needed, communicating with fellow classmates, and taking in depth notes during class lectures. For example, when using SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) and Rstudio (integrated development environment) I was uncertain at the time how to properly use the software. By asking the professor for help, my fellow classmates, and taking in depth notes, would later allow for me to have a better grasp of the software. Which thus led for me to have a high confidence level, a change in attitude, and a change in my perceptions of doing research.

To be a researcher is to be able to have time management, patience, and confidence. To be a researcher, time management is very important as the research and data collected may be cross-sectional or longitudinal. Meaning, the amount of time in evaluating, analyzing, and interpreting the data may take up to days, weeks, months, and years. While patience is a virtue, being a researcher takes a great amount of patience as receiving surveys from participants, recoding variables, and interpreting the studied research may be a lengthy and time-consuming process. Lastly, being a researcher takes a great amount of confidence. Without the use of confidence in one’s research, the momentum in wanting to collect and thus analyze the research question, is lost. Therefore, to be a researcher is to be able to have time management, patience, and confidence.

Overall, throughout the semester from January to May of 2020, I have obtained a great amount of knowledge in this course. I have gained knowledge in how to use SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) and Rstudio (integrated development environment). Within such, I have thus learned how to recode variables, calculating the ANOVA, and calculating the Chi-Squared. I have also learned how to interpret collected data by means of finding the significance and the null hypothesis. Furthermore, related to the research question, I have learned that the use of at home activities improves parental involvement with the child/children. Lastly, I have learned that in conducting and collecting research is a very time manageable process as it may take hours, days, weeks, and months to fully understand and interpret the data.

In completing this course, I aim to use the concepts learned in finding ways to prevent family violence. Continuing, in the near future I thrive to work with individuals impacted by domestic violence as well as children who have been exposed to domestic violence. By having the statistical research and knowledge that at home activities improves parental involvement, I will thus use these concepts to regain the relationship of the parent and child/children affected by the domestic violence. As children who witness domestic violence may often have or feel a sense of detachment by the parent(s), the use of at home activities may regain/improve their relationship. Furthermore, I aim to use the findings collected in this research to prevent family violence as the use of at home activities will allow for the family to come together and build a stronger relationship. I also aim to use what I have learned as a way to connect with the victims of domestic violence in order to build a rapport and further prevent family violence.