Welcome!

Welcome Mentor, Instructor, and Peers!

I am so excited to learn all I can throughout this online internship! I feel I am quite prepared for the next few weeks due to having such amazing teachers who have allowed me to grow in the classroom by making us continually practice skills that are needed in future settings. Skills such as continually practicing facilitation techniques, writing program plans, and conducting research has allowed me to be very prepared for this internship. Also the opportunity to shadow different recreational therapists in different settings such as mental health to long term care through fieldwork hours has most certainly helped as well. I hope to gain more confidence in my self when facilitating and also hope to develop a strong relationship with my mentor by working along side them through different assignments. My current interests in therapeutic recreation is working with adolescents in a mental health setting and working with recently freed prisoners on reintegration into the community.

Thanks for coming to my page! 🙂

Melrica Williams

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Welcome!

1. Kara Cobb says:

Melrica,

I received your most recent assignment regarding PICOT/researching TR/RT programs in the school systems. In my opinion this is a good subject to research as there are not many TR/RT programs in the school systems in VA. I look forward to your findings and how these programs could be beneficial to children and adolescents.

2. Kara Cobb says:

Hi Melrica,

Your most recent assignment regarding PICOT, researching therapeutic recreation/recreation therapy in the school systems is appropriate, yet challenging. I say challenging as we do not find actual TR/RT programs in the school system, particularly in VA. I look forward to reviewing your research and findings.

3. Kara Cobb says:

Melrica as we discussed via our zoom meeting you were prompt with revising your internship goals and objectives to adjust to having to do a virtual internship vs. an in person internship. The revised goals look good and I am looking forward to working with you to help you meet them.

You conducted the mentor interview via zoom in a professional manner, however I apologize that my zoom was not functioning properly.

As far at the agency/setting scan/population summary in the future I will need you to submit an assignment of this nature sooner as you gave it to me last minute. This assignment required some time to research updated information.

• Dr. Whitely says:

Mel/Kara,
      I think that your mentor approved your goals above? However, I am not sure how you will accomplish 2, 4, 7 and 10. I will approve them since your mentor has but you may want to be a bit more specific as to how these will be accomplished.

4. Kara Cobb says:

Good morning Melrica,

I agree that your welcome and layout is awesome and professional, however check for grammatical errors (i.e. “my currents interests…”). Pardon me for the delay in commenting. Awesome profile picture!

5. Evelin Salazar-Abarca says:

Hi Mel! Awesome blog post and layout! My only feedback is grammatical errors I found. The first being that recreational therapist, therapeutic recreation, and fieldwork hours do not need to be capitalized. The second is that in your first book club entry you stated “After the upset of not making the varsity team junior year he worked hard and eventually went on to play college baseball.” You could simply say “After not making the varsity team…” Other than that you did a fantastic job!

6. Faith Lawhorne says:

Mel, I’ll start with 2 small suggestions. I think it would be helpful and more insightful if you could provide some examples in this intro. Also, if you found a header that reflects the nature of the blog a little more it may create a better representation of your page. Overall it looks like everything is in the right places, your profile picture is great, and this page is nice and concise.