Reflection on Statistical Analysis

In Statistics for the Social Sciences, I have learned various techniques working with sociological data. Before this class began I was nervous that I would not understand the given material. After a couple of classes, I realized how important the information was in analyzing data. Not only is the information important, but it is also interesting to learn. I learned how to calculate data and methods by hand, in SPSS, and by R. Although calculating methods by hand is long, each step is important to find the result. Calculating data by hand and in computer software has taught me how to analyze statistics. All of the statistical methods and models have challenged my mind.

Throughout the course, I was also able to learn concepts of social statistics, testing hypotheses, and computing statistics. I was uncertain of all the statistical work that goes into research. Learning all of the material allowed me to view statistical research in a different light. The methods that I felt were the most challenging included; Z Scores, T-tests, and Chi-Square. As I found these difficult, I felt accomplished when completing the handwork. All three methods allowed me to learn the importance of comparing data to one another, understand probability, and test the significance of data. Overall, the course has helped me learn ways to use data in the various scenarios, computing data in SPSS/R, and using data for future uses.

Statistical research is important within a class, however, there is also the importance in a larger context. Statistics in social science matters in a larger context because data can be used in various ways. Research and statistics can be used in making decisions in government, education, and medical advances. Most importantly, what I have learned it can answer important questions. The methods used throughout the course can help view data in larger population scenarios.

The skills learned can also be used in a larger context in a career and a technology aspect. I do believe calculating methods by hand is very important, however, larger data sets can be analyzed by computer software. SPSS is an older system and R is a newer system. Both are used to analyze large data sets. With that being said, data is easier to analyze through computer software. The data can help people in careers who may have to analyze data as a career. It could also allow questions to be answered with large data sets to further research.

With what I have learned in this course, I will use these skills in graduate school. I will be able to research, collect, and analyze data. I could also use the skills I learned in my future career. I am pursuing a career in Clinical Mental Health Counseling after graduate school. Having a career like this would allow me to record health, depression, and or anxiety data collections. Overall, this course has and will allow me to continue to learn more about the methods, research, and statistical social science.