The power of Love -Spencer Neiderlander

I believe in love. Love doesn’t make the world go round, but it sure helps it spin a little faster. If you don’t believe me, then clearly you haven’t worked with a special needs child before. Not too long ago, I was just like everyone else, unhappy, wanting more in life, and taking the little things for granted. Until senior year I never knew what love was, until I was placed in the special needs room as a peer mentor. I thought I would be in and out of the classroom faster than I could blink because my job as a peer mentor was to go and help students who needed help. Little did I know that Special Needs students have a magical power to suck you in and never let you leave. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t because they knock you out and tie you up, it is that when you see them, you can see that they love, even if they are unaware of it. I couldn’t imagine where I would be now if I hadn’t had the chance to work with “my kids.” Yes it got to the point where they became my family and I became attached, and if you know that it is hard for me to get attached to a place or person. I miss my kids, to the point where I go to what I consider “extremes” to go and see them.

During a break I had from school, I returned home to see my kids. I snuck into the school because the principal told me I wasn’t allowed to be there. I didn’t drive for four hours just to be turned away and told no, so I snuck in. Behavior like this is never appropriate unless you have certain circumstances. Mine were that I had teacher friends, and the other students in the school wouldn’t say anything because a majority of them either liked me, or were scared of me. So I go through a good length to be able to see my kids, even if it’s only for a day because they are my new life, and without them I really am not sure where I would be today. It was through their kindness and compassion that I was finally able to understand what loving someone or something truly meant.

“My kids” taught me that it is alright to be weak at times, to share with others, and to show compassion for one another. I never truthfully cared about very many people, and always knew that people can be bad, and harm you. Through my kids, and the power of their love, I found my dream job, am in a great college to persue my desired job, and know now that evenever I go to work, that I will be going to work looking forward to seeing loving faces of my new children and ready to teach them what I can teach them until the day I have to retire. I believe in the power of love because it will lead you in the right direction, it is just a matter of following it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.