Journal Entry 3

My results for the personal values self-assessment on page 372 were for professional 160, financial 120, family 190, social 140, community 120, spiritual 120, physical 140, and intellectual 140. These scores indicate how much these personal values mean to me when it comes to these categories.

It surprised me that my professional score was one of the second-highest as I did not think professionalism was high up on my values until I did the assessment. I was not surprised that my family score had the highest score, as family means a lot to me.
My values might impact my work as a social worker because my values may make me biased about certain situations or things. My values could also be different from my co-workers or even clients. It is important to keep that in mind when choosing a place to work. Values contribute to biases because values are how most people make their decisions and how they think.

My values, beliefs, and social identity affect both leadership, ability, and potential because it could cloud judgment in situations that are different from values and beliefs, I believe in. Leading a group that does not believe what you believe in and vice versa could be challenging as disagreements may arise.

Some strategies that practitioners can use to ensure that is being inclusive are having a diversity statement, having pieces of training, and self-assessments that happen often. Make sure practitioners themselves and co-workers are self-aware. Being able to be open-minded and have co-workers with different values and beliefs could also be a good strategy as it might open one’s mind to a new perspective.