Teacher Research Reflection

This semester was the first time I’ve ever been a teacher-researcher. At first I was really nervous and uncertain about exactly what it meant to be a teacher-researcher. I quickly learned how important it is to ask questions and continue a lifetime full of learning. Asking questions is a great way to learn more about those around us and ourselves. Learning how to gather data and research a particular question is just one of the many ways to become a teacher-researcher. I’ve learned so much about myself and how I want to implement movement and art into my classroom. As future educators, we frequently are told what to do and what not to do in our future classrooms. Finding it out on our own though is a completely different experience and we have a much better understanding. Going into partnership with a burning question and going into the field to find out more about it to find the results was such an enlightening experience. The positive results I found makes me want to continue being a teacher-research and asking questions to find out more about the profession that I love. 

Reading and writing is frequently found to be the “boring” subject to the majority of students. I believe that it most certainly does not have to be. Reading can turn into fun when the students are engaged and moving around. Doing a readers theater is a great way for students to learn expressions and incorporate movement during class. Art is another way to get students more engaged in reading and writing. Playdoh, painting, drawing, building, picture taking are just a few ways to incorporate art into the classroom. For instance, students could recreate scenes from the book they read using clay or other materials. Being a teacher-researcher has really changed my perspective on reading and writing. I have always dreaded writing and if the opportunity to incorporate movement or art into my writing, I know that I would have had a spark for writing and maybe could have actually enjoyed. It. Coming up with creative ideas with reading and writing besides worksheets really does engage the students and makes them fall in love with both reading and writing.