Calling All College Freshman

By: Spencer Grace Simpson

Couch Potato Time

Entering college, you are more than likely going to have more free time than you are used to. Especially living in a dorm, you will naturally spend a lot of your time laying in bed. After a long day of studying and socializing, you need to wind down to a comfort show! Coming from someone who has little to no attention span, trust me, I’ve had my fair share of trial and error. It takes a lot for me to sit down and watch a show. Introducing, “Ginny & Georgia”. This show absolutely put me in a trance and made me excited to be a couch potato! Like I said, you will have more than enough time to relax and enjoy some shows. This show is a mix of drama, romance, crime, and full of relatable teenage problems. The series includes mature themes and content, referencing drugs, sex, and alcohol, scenes of violence and strong language. With a 7.4/10 rating, I highly recommend diving in. I found this show addicting in the best way possible.

The show is about a southern belle, glamorous mother (Georgia) who has a traumatic past that often creeps up on her. She has spent her entire life on the road looking for a safe place to settle, this is close to impossible for her. She attempts to defy all the odds gracefully to protect her teenage daughter and 9 year old son (Ginny and Austin). The series begins at the funeral of Georgia’s yoga entrepreneur husband, who we can assume she murdered. The ex-wife is furious that Georgia will be inheriting the fortune. Georgia packs her life up and continues to hit the road once again in hopes to find peace. She chooses Wellsbury, Massachusetts where the family tries to lay their roots. The website, dmtalkies.com has a summary analysis article about this show written by Shikhar Agrawal. Agrawal states “At a first glance, Ginny & Georgia feels like a mother-daughter story. This plot, however, gets complicated when their deep dark secrets follow and haunt them as these two characters try to fit in a new habitat.” Georgia will do anything in her power to hide the skeletons in her closet. Thus, the major theme of the series is, “Will Georgia ever be able to wipe off her past life and provide a new start to her children?” or her children will commit the same mistakes and be forever stuck in a loop?” This show tells a gripping story that will often leave you hanging but wanting to know more. 

As a freshman in college, there will be times where you are homesick or uncomfortable. You will feel like you have nothing to do but study and eat. This is normal, but a good way to ease these nerves is to take it easy and give grace to yourself. You have made it this far, in college, new campus, new people, give yourself a break and indulge into some good TV. Take it as a form of self-care. Netflix or any type of streaming service is highly recommended for entertainment going into college. You will want it, trust me! Tik Tok scrolling can’t keep you satisfied forever. Remember that school and extracurricular comes first. Be sure you are being a smart student and getting your work done first thing, then you can really enjoy your couch potato time! 

posted by Spencer Simpson in Uncategorized and having Comments Off on Couch Potato Time

No comments

The comments are closed.