Research Experience

Research Reflection 

Sean Pinney 

How has your process for doing academic research changed since the beginning of the semester? Be specific. Give examples. 

• At the start of the semester, I gathered my research by looking up valued sources. As my research continued, I was forced to use mathematics to figure out certain points of data for my research. An example of this would be finding the average mean of all my student responses. As my data progressed throughout the semester, I had to start performing tasks on my own hands to get new information.  

Describe your process for evaluating and selecting sources for your research assignments. How did you decide which sources to use and which not to use? Did you add or change sources for your final assignment after turning in your annotated bibliography? If so, please explain why. 

• I made sure that I chose sources that were peer reviewed and had factual information. I also wanted my sources to directly relate to my research question. I made sure these sources have statistical information for the purpose of comparing their data to my own findings. I did not change any of my sources in my annotated bibliography because they all fit the criteria that I was looking for ahead of the assignment.  

What challenges did you encounter when doing research for your assignments in this class? What strategies did you use to overcome them? Be specific. Give examples. 

• There were a few challenges when conducting my research. This research was based on the Longwood student attitudes on COVID-19 policies on campus. Not all students were present on campus this semester. Due to COVID-19, students had the option to continue their education at home away from the virus. Students who lived fully at home could have answered questions that were strictly meant for students living on campus. These student opinions were different from others due to the fact of not being on campus. They were not witnessing the new COVID-19 guidelines.   

Have your attitudes and perceptions (confidence level) about doing research changed over the course of the semester? Be specific. Give examples. 

• They have not. This semester has been very different, but I was still able to complete my research the same way I always have. I have always stayed very confident when it comes to finding the right data for my research. There were times where it got difficult, but that is when I asked questions and made sure I was getting the most out of my research.  

Think about the research you’ve done this semester, and describe what you think it means to “Think Like a Researcher?” 

• When I hear those words in my head, all I can think about is understanding both sides of research. Throughout this whole semester, my research has consisted of many different opinions. Whether I agree with these opinions or not, they are still valued, and I had to listen to both sides. I learned that by listening to both sides of my research, it gave me a better perspective of what I was trying to accomplish with answering my research question.