An Open Letter to Myself in Four Years

Dear Abbey,

As I write this to you at nineteen years old I realize that when you are reading this you will be twenty-two and ready to conquer the world with your smile and ability to stay positive even when things are hard. I do not know which of the paths you have decided to take, but I trust that you have done what is good to make us happy. I hope that you have not given up on doing what you love, such as spending time outdoors, creating art, and playing rugby even if you do get stressed out because you tend to spread yourself thin.

My advice to you is to be more present in what you do. There are so many times when I do not participate in school and socially because I am afraid of rejection so instead I do nothing. This is bad because making mistakes is the best thing you can do in life. Learn from them and do not let your mind drift. Some daydreaming is good, but not all the time. The people that are around you care about you and want you to be there, not just a empty shell. They want what is best for you and if you find that those around you do not care about you then do not hangout with them just to have someone. Being alone is okay, especially when you need time to think and reflect on possible paths in life. You can be too critical of yourself. Stop that. No one is thinking about you as much as you and sometimes it tears you up inside.

Lastly, never stop opening up your heart to people. I know sometimes they do not always give back and maybe some will hurt you, but sometimes those people can turn into beautiful friends and even family. Give each relationship the time, love, and work that they deserve. Always open up your home to those who are in need and give what you can. I hope that these past four years have been the great, but remember the best is still yet to come.

I love you,

Abbey