Portfolio

Throughout this internship I have learned a lot and gained a lot. I have faced challenges and gained so many life lessons that I could not imagine not having now. Some of the challenges I have faced was learning that although there is a lot of work to be done, some things rely on other people and response when considering sending emails. Having to wait to start the next step of the project can be difficult. Another challenge I faced was having road blocks. When dealing with other schedules it can be hard to get what you need to done. I was an advisor for a committee and that involved having a meeting with Dr. Tim Pearson. He had to reschedule at one point which then forced us to have to push back our meetings as well as not being able to tell the committee what exactly was going on. That lead to me feeling like me graduating was leaving them in a tight spot because they had not been guided enough simply because I as their committee advisor did not know all of the information that I needed to know.

All that I learned and all of the challenges I have faced made me realize that the world is a messy place and things do not always go as planned. These types of challenges have given me perspective when looking at going into event planning and student affairs one day. In event planning there is much room for error as well as changes. Understanding and accepting the fact that most of the time, until an event is actually happening most of the time things will not go as exactly planned. As well with student affairs. Students lives change every single day and understanding that working with what you have in the moment is most important with everything a person does. These have lead me to looking more into jobs of event planning because there is much room for challenges but each challenge will lead you to gaining new experiences.

I am have gained the skills I wrote about in my first blog post. I have bettered my public speaking skills as well as how to put plans into actions. With event planning I will be creating an event that will happen in the future and understanding, like I wrote about earlier, is that everything will work out the way it is meant to. It will be hard and sometimes it will be easier. But each experiences I will gain new knowledge and knew skills.

I have achieved much of what I set out to when making my performance evaluation. I have focused a lot on the Greek Housing Committee because I have become passionate about the greek committee having places to feel comfortable in this community. In light of all that has been happening in our Greek committee I believe that has a school and as an intern in the Greek Office, we are not ready to make new organizations truly come on this campus yet. I have laid the ground work but as of now, that goal was stopped until the next intern comes in. As far as reaching out to other schools that did not email me back, I have come up with a better system to get these independent greeks a way to stand out. After hearing back from these organizations,  I have realized that much of what they want is to be heard and be recognized. Not so much governed, just heard. There will be new steps put into place when the next years intern is taking over.

This group of people that mentored me throughout this internship have changed my entire world. I have learned so much about Longwood both within the greek committee and has a school as a whole. Having my internship supervisor made me realize that I can do anything I set my mind to. I can change this committee whenever I want to. I have gained so much new respect for the NPHC committee as well as greek life as a whole.

I would highly suggest this internship to other people in the Greek committee.  My suggestions would be to take it all one day at a time. In the beginning of this internship I wanted to do so much all the time to fulfill each of my tasks. But spreading it out when things get overwhelming. As well as enjoy this committee that we have here. Its a special place to be.

College Responces – Sheet1

With this article of work, this is how I would try and keep track of all of the responses and what I would get from them.

Proposal-Independent Greek Council

This is the proposal I created in order to explain to my supervisor that although it is a create idea to create a council for the independent greek concil the first step is to get them more recognized within Longwood’s community. There is a SWOT analysis as well as explanation of the event I have created.

MeetingwithTimPearson

My committee heads and I had a meeting with Tim Pearson about the next steps that need to be taken with our committee to assure that the Greek Community will get what they deserve at some point in the future. These are the minutes that I had to relay to the at large committee members.

GREEKHOUSINGCOMMITTEE

This is the document I created to keep track of each task for the committee and each member under each committee head. There is also a timeline of what we wanted to do before Tim Pearson had to reschedule.

Proposal

After our meeting with Tim Pearson I created a proposal outline for the next intern that will be continuing in my place. This will be send to someone about what we want from the committee and wanting to work with the university to better our relationship with them.

Overall, this internship is everything I needed and more. I am very thankful.

At Greek Awards

Last day at my internship