Initial Position Statement

Earning a master’s degree in the Counselor Education program will allow me to continue on the path to obtaining licensure in the state of Virginia and becoming a counselor for couples and families. The skills and practical application taught through the progression of the program will prepare me to work with clients who are experiencing difficulties with maintaining healthy relationships in their life. Ideally, I will be able to assist clients in improving communication, developing a better sense of self awareness, and facilitating a safe environment for those to share in.

My desire to be a counselor stemmed from the initial interest in psychology as a discipline and through the process of earning my undergraduate degree I have found such a passion studying the field. Each professor came from different backgrounds and experiences, and out of all the shared stories I was especially drawn to those that worked with couples. A crucial point in the decision to become a counselor occurred when I was completing an internship at James Madison University’s Counseling Center. When I shared my interest in the profession, my professor encouraged me by providing the important information regarding steps to becoming a licensed professional counselor and mentored me in further developing necessary skills to potentially become successful in the field.

From a more personal standpoint, my own parents went through couples counseling as a last resort for their marriage and they are still going strong on their 28th year of being together. They advocated for how beneficial it was for them to experience counseling and how counseling is something that can help anyone, even those who may be skeptical. I would feel accomplished if I could help others the way the counselor helped my parents, and this was a major factor in why I have such an interest in working more specifically with couples and families.