The Way I See It: Roommates, Professors and Exploring Farmville 

Before arriving at Longwood, I didn’t really know what to expect from college. I had only heard stories about how mean and lacking in understanding college professors are and how terrible living with a roommate could be.  

Well, I am here to tell you the opposite is true when it comes to the professors here at Longwood! From the first day of class, each professor has said multiple times that they are here for us and that they want to see us succeed. Also, because my classes are very small compared with other universities, the professors have an opportunity to get to know their students on a personal level.

Another plus is that every professor has certain times they are in their office with the door open, and they’re prepared for students to show up with questions. They set this time aside so that they can help students be successful in their class! Before I came to Longwood, I thought professors didn’t care about who you are or if you were successful or if you were struggling in the class—but that’s not the case at Longwood.  

I have heard plenty of stories about experiences with bad roommates! I got the impression that your roommate was going to make or break your freshman year—or your college experience in general. Leading up to my freshman year, I was a bit nervous about finding a roommate because I didn’t really know anyone who would be attending Longwood, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go random or not.

Kara (right) and her roommate, Kathryn, a nursing major.

Let me tell you that I lucked out with a great roommate! It turns out that our dads actually met through Longwood. My dad was an education major, and he did his student teaching at my roommate’s dad’s high school. Her dad was interested in the same major that my dad was pursuing, so my dad talked to him about Longwood, and he graduated from here, too!

When living with a roommate, I suggest that you discuss your expectations: for example, if you want to keep the room clean, if you are normally cold/hot, if you care about other people being in the room. After all, it is both your and your roommate’s room! It’s an adjustment to share a room and have such a small space for yourself, but after a few weeks of being in the dorm, I have finally found a place for everything and gotten in the groove of things! 

Although it is only about a month into the college life, I am loving it! It took me a little bit to figure out my time-management skills with schoolwork coming first and my social life coming second. But I am making new friends and enjoying my classes (for the most part!), and I love venturing out into Farmville on the weekends! I cannot wait to see what the next few weeks will hold!  

Comments