Canvas released a new feature that enhances instructors’ ability to set due dates for course work. Before this new feature was released into production, assignments, assessments, and discussions had to be assigned to an entire section. But, with this new feature, professors can assign an assignment to a specific student(s). This can be useful if you have a student who needs to take an online exam the day before the rest of the class: you can assign the exam to that specific student for the day before and the rest of the section/class will still take it the day it was originally due.
Even though you can use this feature in assignments, assessments, and discussions, this blog post will demonstrate how you can use this feature in assessments. Know that you’ll follow the same process to assign varied due dates for assignments and discussions.
- Within your course, navigate to the desired assessment/discussion/assignment requiring multiple due dates. Click “edit” in the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Within the settings section scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.
- After verifying your intended due date for “Everyone” in the course in the “Assign to” section, click on the “+ Add” to add another assign box.
- Type the name of the student(s) to whom you want to assign the assessment and then select the date desired. After making your adjustments, be sure to click the blue “Save” button at the bottom right-hand side of the page.
- You should now see that there are 2 different “available from” dates, allowing that one student to take complete the graded work on a different date.
If you have any difficulty replicating the steps provided in this post, please don’t hesitate to contact us.