Obama’s View on Student Debt

Next month, several people will be heading to the polls to vote for who they want as president. I figured this would be a good time to do some research on the candidates and their platforms. The issue that I of course wanted to focus on is their ideas of getting rid of student debt. At first I was going to go to each candidate’s website, but then I remembered in my political sciences classes that I should try something else. I went to a third party website to get the facts. Democrats tend to value higher education and want everyone to have an educational opportunity. Democrats have taken on student loans by dealing with banks to reform the program. They increased Pell grants and did the American Opportunity Tax Credit. Obama plans to make higher education institutions keep their tuition down. In order to do this, he is willing to reduce their federal aid until they comply with having lowering their tuition costs. He wants to increase federal work-study and reform the student loan system. He wants to help minorities in school so that the workforce can be more diverse. He also focuses on community colleges which tend to often be overlooked. They are considered just a stepping stone to a four year college and no one really pays attention to them.

Presidents have often ignored the student debt crisis. Most people still view college as a privilege and if you go there, you must deal with the financial circumstances. College shouldn’t be a lap of luxury when it is deemed mediocre when you have just your bachelor’s degree. There must be more focus on education, but especially higher education. Students will be the leaders of tomorrow and if they are swimming in debt, how can they lead? I like his ideas on education, but more has to be done to fix this problem. It isn’t going to just go away. It will rise and rise and cause a catastrophic recession or worse, a great depression. Think about that as you go to the polls. Education is key and now the question is how to not make education be the reason why our country fails.

3 comments

• payday bridge on December 5, 2012 at 1:23 am

An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment. I believe that you need to
    publish more about this topic, it may not be a taboo subject but typically folks don’t discuss such topics. To the next! Kind regards!!

1. Obama’s plan for student debt is much better than Romney’s. Besides the fact that the man is very untrustworthy, he doesn’t have that much in getting our student loans down. Really, I don’t see him worrying about us at all.

2. Lowering college tuition is an appealing idea to most people. I wonder how effective it will be to decrease federal tuition aid to higher learning programs though, because they could just charge their students more tuition to compensate for the loss. I’m interested in knowing what the Republicans propose to do to reduce student debt in relation to the Democrats view.