EXPLORING HUNGER

My Town: Manassas, VA

by on Dec.18, 2012, under Uncategorized

www.media.visitmanassas.com/img_12205

Manassas is a small, independent city in northern Virginia located within Prince William County, about thirty miles outside Washington, D.C. My town is most known for its historic Old Town district, and the Manassas Battlefield Park, a member of the National Park Service. Despite moving a couple times, I have lived in the greater Manassas area for my entire life. I was one of about fifty students out of a graduating class of over three hundred fifty to have spent my entire school career from Kindergarten through Senior year in the Manassas City Public School System.

www.manassasmuseum.com

Manassas is one of the only locations where not one, but TWO major Civil War battle occurred (the First and Second Battles of Manassas/Bull Run). In the 1800’s the City of Manassas, known then as Manassas Junction, was the largest railroad junction for miles with rails leading to Richmond, Washington D.C. and the Shenandoah Valley, and was the Confederacy’s supply transportation mode throughout the south. The two battles that took place were to defend and hold control of the railroad junction. Today, the Manassas Battlefield Park celebrates this great history, and many reenactments and special events take place.

From a lifetime resident, I would certainly have to say that one of the hidden gems of Manassas is the historic Old Town district, but more specifically Old Town Manassas during Christmastime. The light posts, trees and buildings of Old Town are decorated in holly and white lights, and the Harris Pavilion skating rink plays Christmas tunes. The picture below show some of the beauty of Old Town at Christmas. Another Old Town holiday tradition is the annual Christmas Parade and tree lighting. Historic and holiday culture makes living in Manassas a great experience!

There are a lot of things that make Manassas Unique. As for Manassas’ economy, a lot of residents are commuters, having the train to D.C. stop right in Old Town. There are many small businesses run by residents, and many of them are located in historic Old Town. Two large employers in Manassas include Lockheed Martin, who has an office in the city which employs over 800 people, as well as the East Cost manufacturing division of Micron, a computer chip company. The Micron plant in Manassas employs over 1,500 people and adds over $285 million to the Virginia Economy.

The district court of Prince William County is located in Old Town Manassas, and the Prince William County Police Headquarters for the Western End of the county is located on the outskirts of the city. Manassas, as an independent city, has its own government, police force and emergency and rescue squadrons as well as a public school system with five elementary schools, one intermediate school (5th and 6th grade), one middle school and one high school. Osbourn High School boasts a tremendous sports program.Manassas is a warm and welcoming community with many great aspects.

www.manassascity.org                                  Photo taken by Daniel Hughes

:

7 Comments for this entry

• Alexandra Faith

I love your town. Your town is full of history which is always nice to be around. I thought your post was great!

• Courtney Traylor

I thoroughly enjoyed your description of your town. I remember learning all about the history of Manassas in a Civil War class I took a few years ago. However, I did not know about this Old Town area. I did want to go see some of the historic sites, and now I want to go even more!

• Vanessa Lieurance

Hey Dan! I have been to manassas a time or two. To be honest I usually got stuck in traffic on 66 getting to Manassas so I try not to visit there often. There is alot of history in your backyard.

• Dana Mark

Dan,

I have been to Manassas several times before, but I had no idea that several historic battles took place in this area. As a child, I had visited the Old Town christmas lights several times. Although I have been to the area multiple times before, I learned several things I never knew when reading your post.

Dana Mark

• Zoe Chomko

Hi Dan! Manassas sounds like a really interesting place. I like the old town aspect it has and the history the town contains! The old battle fields sound like something interesting to check out, especially with the reenactments going on!

• Callie

Dan, I taught in Manassass last summer for a couple weeks. I was at Stonewall Middle School. I’m not incredibly familiar with Manassass other than it’s history and the middle school, but you did a great job describing traditions and the economy.

• Ashley James

I really liked your description of your town! I remember learning about Manassas in my history classes throughout middle and highschool so I’m glad you added the historical aspect to your decription! I’m glad I got to know a little more about you as well as the town of Manassas from your post!