Reflection on SOCL 351 Project

During the development of the FLE workshop we produced on the prevalence of stalking, there were three competencies from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) that became apparent. First, leadership was one of the main competencies that I believe I demonstrated throughout the project. It was very difficult for me to get out of my comfort zone and take a form of control, however, I believe that I was able to display a sense of leadership by ensuring that my group stayed on task. Secondly, teamwork was one of the hardest but most evident aspects that showed during the creation of the project. Considering that I am not drawn to the idea of working in a group, my partner and I worked very well together and we were able to create an informative and intricate project as a result. Lastly, communication was shown, not only during the development of the project, but more specifically toward the end. Unfortunately, my group had a small mishap that had be handled in a professional and respectful manner. I was able to solve this issue, as one would do in a professional setting, by calmly communicating my concerns to my partner as well as the professor. In previous projects, my communication fell short because of the presence of anxiety I endure on a daily basis. This project helped me realize the importance of communication and how it can impact the outcome of difficult situations.

Overall, this project was one of the most interesting projects I have completed in my four years of college. My partner and I had the perfect balance of information, with theirs being on greek-life, while I focused more on stalking specifically. We were able to come together and create a project that had a significant amount of information that was important for the audience to know. One thing that could have been better would be the amount of statistics embedded into the slides. While the information was needed, there could have been a better balance of statistics and other aspects such as prevention tactics or risk factors. There could have also been a better sense of communication throughout the entirety of the process. My partner and I communicated when it was necessary, but I think we would have had a better result if we were in constant communication throughout the development of the project, rather than sporadically. Aside from this, I believe that our project was intriguing and relatable, especially for those in the audience who were in greek-life organizations. While I would change only a small portion of the project, I am satisfied with the outcome and I would do it again if given the opportunity.