1.5 – Physics and Chemistry

Integrate physics and chemistry concepts into relevant biological contexts.

Chemistry

Chemistry and Biology are intertwined heavily and you cannot have one without the other. During my time at Longwood, I had taken various chemistry course raging from Fundamentals of Chemistry I & II, to Organic Chemistry. My studies in basic chemistry aspects in Fundamentals of Chemistry such as structure of matter, stoichiometry, bonding, periodic law, thermochemistry, and gas laws were vital for future courses. Comprehending these foundational aspects were extremely crucial in understanding biological components of elements within cells on a molecular level and how chemical reactions occur biologically. Organic Chemistry courses were able to build more into complex chemical aspects that are important in understanding how reactions work more in depth. Organic Chemistry courses took the foundational aspects of chemistry and highlighted more regarding carbon containing compounds and their structures, properties, composition, and reactions. In Organic Chemistry II, we used concept maps to connect topics together to really understand what is occurring. These were extremely helpful in looking back on what has been covered in the course.

Physics

During my studies at Longwood, physics connected a lot of chemistry and biological aspects together. All three subjects are interwoven within each other. Physics highlighted a lot of aspects that explain a lot with the inner workings of all living organisms. Topics regarding gravity, velocity, sound, speed, and light are just some of the topics the couple of physic course I have completed highlights.

Biological Courses that Incorporate both Physics and Chemistry

During my time at Longwood University, I have taken many courses that incorporate both Physics and Chemistry. One of those courses include Medical Neurobiology. This course included a lot of information in understanding how the human brain works and how to go about diagnosing and treating various illness and diseases. In that course, we did various projects and assignments where we chose a disease and had to discuss the full disease including symptoms, treatment options, and testing. Two of those assignments that I did completed were Aneurysms and Myasthenia gravis.