Methodology: Reflection

Methodology in sociology is unique in that a majority of its premise is based on trying to prove and or validate theories. This discipline is also unique from other sciences such as the natural sciences because its subjects of study are people and societies which are ever evolving and changing. In conducting and using methodology for sociology it is very common to use qualitative data such as surveys and in-person interactions and discussions. Due to this, many may discredit sociology as a genuine and factual science. However, sociological methodology greatly uses quantitate data as well. Moreover, sociological methodology and research uses the same scientific method as other natural sciences. One of the most important aspects of methodology is the lengths researchers and sociologists go in order to keep data unbiased and ethical.

Although research is not my favorite aspect of school and, in my future career, I understand how important it is. In my future career, I hope to be able to use the research skills I have been taught such as analyzing data, reviewing research articles, etc. I also hope to not only use my own methodology skills, but to also use and apply the research that has already been conducted. For example, in my future career as an SLPA, I am now able to examine research articles that provide me with the most effective methods for speech therapy.