Institutions: Reflection

Institutions are larger systems within society such as healthcare, education, religion, the government, and much more. These institutions, although large, are able to impact individuals and groups within society in a vast amount of ways. In my own life, education has been an almost ever present institution. Within my family, it is the norm for one to go to college and to receive a higher education. However, as a person who has a learning disability, the institution of education has had strong impacts in my life that have not always made this easy to achieve. I have experienced first hand the many issues that institutions such as education have and because of this, I have formed many biases. It is my hope to use these biases in order to help address and dismantle the issues within institutions.

Both the institution of healthcare and education will play a major role within my future career. I hope to one day help kids and other individuals who have difficulties in speech, hearing, and other forms of communication. Many of the clients that I hope to help may be in need of services due to other medical issues. These clients will be heavily impacted and in close relationships with the institution of healthcare. Moreover, many other clients may be struggling in school and or may have other disabilities that are impacting them within school. Now that I have learned about the institutions and it’s many effects and roles within society, I hope to utilize this knowledge within my future career. I hope to be able to understand the issues faced by clients on a larger scale and also understand that there are other areas within ones life that can be negatively impacting someone.