Common Good Project

Our final major project in ENGL 400 was the Common Good Project. This was by far my favorite assignment that I have completed since I have been at Longwood. For this project, I was able to put all the concepts that I learned in this course to use by teaming up with two of my fellow classmates and making a multimodal argument that focused on an important public issue. This reflects the final course learning objective, “understand how knowledge, skills, and values learned in general education are interwoven and interrelated, and how they can contribute to the process of citizen leadership.” My team created a project called Project Flashlight; an initiative that was committed to bringing awareness to the presence of mental illness among college students and to providing helpful resources around the Farmville and Longwood Community for individuals who need help. Our overall argument was that mental illness among college students is an important and widespread issue that calls for immediate attention. The project included a website that was created from scratch, a video that aided in the emotional appeal of our audience, and a rationale statement that explained the various rhetorical strategies implemented within our project. This project allowed us to use rhetoric and writing in a way that drew upon active leadership skills in a unique and engaging manner rather than writing a traditional paper. The common good project arguably was linked to all of the course learning objectives. I was able to demonstrate my competency of rhetoric, choose the right format, investigate multiple perspectives, analyze the effectiveness of my own work, and to display my understanding of how the writing/rhetoric can be used to make a positive and effective change in the world.

https://prestonabbie.wixsite.com/mysite

Loader Loading...

Download [80.72 KB]