#RealityofHunger

Hello World

by on Dec.11, 2012, under Uncategorized

Welcome to my blog!

For this blog, the theme is going to be World Hunger. I hope to be able to look beyond what research on the computer provides  and take a closer look at hunger within my community. I am currently living at home in an outskirt city of Lynchburg called Forest. I have lived in Forest since I was one years old. I have done a lot of community service in my community that has led me to some humbling experiences that allowed me to see the reality of hunger and how it is present in places you would never think.

I am a senior at Longwood University,  majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Health Education. I know they are completely opposite and do not really support each other but for this blog, I believe having both will be to my advantge. In all of my classes that I have taken as a major and minor requirement, I have had course material that taught me a little bit about World Hunger. I have some experience researching the reality of it around the world. From this blog I am hoping to spead the world about World Hungry and motivate people to give back to their communicty and help those in need!

In order to be a community member, you have to look at the bigger picture. You have to focus on not what you need and what you want to change, but what needs to be change for the better of everyone. I am prepared to be a community member because after much research, I am now well-informed of the problems within my hometown. There are many people in need and one aspect of being a community member is helping those in need, and I am now able to pinpoint the problem and find a solution to that problem just by asking around and doing some research.

:

5 Comments for this entry

• Caitlin

Hey! I live in Lynchburg too! I actually went to Heritage High School! What a small world. I think its nice having a major and minor that don’t relate so that you can get a view on everything. Nice to meet you!

• Caitlan Tignor

Hello Shelby! I’m a theatre major, so we both work in the same building year-round. I look forward to working with you in this class!

• Christopher Nettemeyer

Hi Shelby,

I have been to Forest a lot. I played baseball in High school and we went every year to Forest to play. I also have a lot of friends that went there that you probably know. I feel like both of your majors will be very helpful in this class, especially since they went over World hunger. I’m excited to work with you in the near future!

• Samantha Lankford

Hi Shelby! I’m also a senior at Longwood and I’m really looking forward to graduation, as I’m sure you are too! Lynchburg is probably one of my favorite cities. I’m really looking forward to working with you on bringing awareness to hunger!

• Mary Rose

Hey Shelby! We live close to each other! I live in Roanoke and that’s about 45 minutes from Lynchburg. I really like Lynchburg! I have a few friends that are communication majors and they all seem to really love it. It sounds like a really interesting major! Well it’s nice to meet you, even if it’s just online!