Don’t Push Me ‘Cause I’m Close to the Edge

Resistance against new programs is very common, because it is just natural for people not to like new things. It happens and there is no real way to change that. But it is possible to make the change easier and when it is easier, people are going to go along with the change without too much hesitation. New Lancer Days has to change slightly every year to accommodate the growing number of students that attend New Lancer Days every year.

Resistance is expected with every new program that is put into affect, and I expect resistance for the Basic Medical Awareness seminar. I believe the most resistance is going to come from the students who do not want to attend yet another seminar during their first weekend at college. This is why it is important to do this seminar during New Lancer Days because there is going to be a massive number of students who won’t attend a weekend or after-class seminar. While this seminar will be more exciting than sitting through the reading of the Student Handbook, it will not be a rage party by any means. New freshman want to explore everything that Farmville has to offer, and that is going to cause their attention span to be virtually non-existent. The important thing is to keep the seminar short, sweet, and to the point so student’s minds don’t wander.

Other than student resistance, I do not expect other kinds of resistance to occur. There might be some institutional resistance in the beginning because it will require the schedule to change for New Lancer Days, but the purpose of the seminar is to educate students and begin the process of creating citizen leaders. With the end goal being so positive for both students and the University as a whole, there shouldn’t be too much resistance from Longwood.

Longwood University prides itself in making students Citizen Leaders

Over all, this proposal is meant to better the lives of those students who chose to come to Longwood. This is not supposed to make every Longwood students an EMT or a paramedic. This seminar is supposed to teach students how to react in an emergency situation. Swift and calm reactions to a variety of medical emergencies is going to make the difference in the health of a patient. The important of proper reaction to an emergency can prove lifesaving for some emergencies. By knowing how to react, and the proper way to treat medical emergencies, Longwood University is going to become a safer place for everyone who comes to campus.

8 thoughts on “Don’t Push Me ‘Cause I’m Close to the Edge

1. Very well explained! I don’t remember New Lancer Days that well, but I do know that there are tons of ways to make a program like this interesting, especially if it is more hands-on. It might also be able to be implemented into their LSEM class, kind of like going to the library and performing the “scavenger hunt” game is. But honestly, its not about whether these kids want to do it or not, its about potentially saving someones life during the next crazy four years that they will be here.

2. Kathleen,
    Good post! I agree that the biggest resistance will come from students, New Lancer Days was really hard to sit through at times because they planned such long days.

I can’t imagine it would be, but if there is a significant student backlash about this seminar being in NLD, would you consider putting it in a different format like LSEM or Orientation?

• I have thought about the possibility of putting the training in LSEM, but the problem that arises with that is an EMT or Paramedic will have to go to all of the LSEM classes on campus during the first few weeks of school. I believe that it would be easier to get all freshman at one go, which is why I picked NLD as the environment to teach in. If Longwood were to make a special orientation weekend seminar, students will be less likely to come because it is not required like it would be with NLD. While both of those options could possibly work, NLD is the best way to go because it will get the most students in one swipe.

• That definitely makes sense, I just wanted your opinion on those other options, in case there happened to be some resistance from the NLD directors. You may want to consider explaining why this would not work in LSEM or a weekend seminar in the ‘positions’ part of your proposal. I think that would make your argument for the seminar in NLD even stronger.

3. I agree in that i don’t foresee much of an issue with the school having a problem, but have you even looked into that yet? I’m sure the biggest issue WOULD be the students but I’m also sure that someone somewhere in the inter-workings of Longwood will have something to say. I think you should test your hypothesis and maybe talk to someone you feel would have a comment regarding this idea. In order to have a strong argument you have to really anticipate things from all angles. You want to protect your argument, and while I agree that the student issue is probably yhe biggest you need to make sure all your bases are covered.

• I haven’t talked to someone directly who plans out New Lancer Days, but I have discussed the idea with some of the student ambassadors who deal with NLD and some Peer Mentors and they don’t see it as a huge issue when it comes to fitting this seminar in with the current NLD schedule. Because I am proposing that we add in this information with an already existing seminar, it is easier than making a whole new time period of a whole new seminar.