Longwood Students Save the World

The issue of a lack of basic medical knowledge in college students is prevalent in every state but I really want to focus on Longwood University. One of the great things about our campus is the fact that it is small and everyone knows everyone. You can be walking down Brock Commons and see someone that was in your LSEM class three years ago and still know their name. The sense of community among Longwood students is already there, and adding a way for people to help one another when they need it most will only encourage a closer feeling to other students. Medical emergencies can happen any time of any day, which is why it is important for students to have some basic knowledge of how to help someone.

The most common types of injuries on Longwood’s campus are cuts and lacerations, overdoses on alcohol and drugs, and falls. These specific problems have very simple solutions to them that anyone can do. In 2013, Longwood welcomed 1,064 freshman students to campus. Longwood also plans on expanding campus and doubling the amount of students by 2020. This mass increase in students is going to drive accident and injury rates way up, but those numbers can be reduced if those incoming freshman learn during New Lancer Days how to react in an emergency situation. Not only can they help students on campus, this training will follow them wherever they go in life. Simple training will save lives, no matter where people are. The American Heart Association did a study where they found that heart attack patients have a great chance of survival if bystanders initiated CPR early, before health professionals can get on scene.

I want to offer this program first to incoming freshman because they are the easiest to get to. They are required to go to parts of New Lancer Days for a grade and Peer Mentors are going to be with those students for a majority of the time during New Lancer Days. If this program proves to be successful, I want to expand this to include transfer students who come to Longwood as sophomores or juniors. Success of this program can be measure by the number of calls to Prince Edward Volunteer Rescue Squad to Longwood’s campus. If students know how to help someone who is vomiting from drinking too much alcohol, they won’t need to call the Rescue Squad every time someone drinks too much. Now, there are going to be times where the Rescue Squad is still going to need to take someone to the hospital, but the training that students will receive would aid first responders so the patient can be treated and transported quicker and in more comfort.

By providing this basic first responder training to incoming freshman at Longwood University, I believe that only great things will follow. Students are going to feel safer on campus knowing that anyone around them can help in the case of an emergency. There will be a commonplace of knowledge for all students, and it may help students figure out what they want to do for a career. If it wasn’t for the EMT class I took last year, I would never have realized I wanted to be a nurse. There may be numerous other students who are in the same boat I was in. By requiring this training, Longwood is going to create leaders and pillars of the community because this training will follow students where ever they go in life.

4 thoughts on “Longwood Students Save the World

1. This is a nice post. I know that sounds so general and lazy of me but it is. I really like how you introduce this as something very simple to teach, but that it will also have a great impact amongst students.

Measuring the success by the calls to the rescue squad is a good idea. I almost had a counter argument to that, when you say the success will be apparent by a decrease in calls, but you basically cleared it up for me. My reaction was, at first, well some people are going to call anyway! But you addressed that right after. I’m still thinking though that that alone may not be 100% reliable as a gauge of success but I’m sure you know that too. I’m thinking people will still be lazy and call you guys instead because even though they know how to help, they might not want to, or be afraid to, get their hands dirty? See what I’m saying? For instance, if I knew how to help someone in a situation where they may be choking (I don’t sadly, but if I did!) I am pretty sure I would still be really afraid to help because I would have limited experience with that and I would worry I’d mess them up even more. So, calls may drop a little but may stay pretty steady. Just a thought- but I think its a pretty good idea.

• I’m still trying to figure out how to gage success rates, and the only thing I can think of is if students actually react in an Emergency Situation. EMT’s are required to write a report every time they run a call, and Longwood can contact them to see if students are there when EMS arrives on scene.

2. This is a really great post, it definitely narrows down your topic and explains what you will be proposing well. I really liked your point about how this will help incoming students discover what they want to do. I came to Longwood as an undeclared major and many of my peers in that LSEM class considered nursing but were unsure until it was too late to apply for the program. I also really think a medical seminar will improve the campus. I was really lucky when I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago that one of my roommates was a kinesiology major and could wrap up and identify sprains so that should be a skill that more students possess. I look forward to reading your proposal 🙂

• I was in a very similar boat! I had NO idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life until I took my EMT class. After that, I realized that I wanted to be a nurse, but I was also a Junior. So now I have to graduate from Longwood and then go back to school for nursing. I want to help other students who are in similar situations so they can decided earlier on what they want to do, so they won’t be in school for 5 years like me 🙂