Once a Lancer, Always a Lancer

Basic emergency medicine is easy to understand and practice. I am proposing that Longwood needs to create a mandatory seminar for freshman to attend during New Lancer Days that will teach them the basics of what to do in an emergency situation. Part of the seminar with include CPR certification, training on how to control bleeding, administer the Heimlich maneuver on a chocking victim, and what the signs and symptoms are of alcohol and drug overdose.  By learning these simple responses to an emergency situation, lives can be saved. Students become the first line of defense in protecting fellow students, faculty, and guests. Knowing the basics of how to control bleeding, how to stay calm in an emergency, and how to help in an overdose situation, campus will become a safer place for all visitors.

Students are the most important people on this campus. Without students, there would be no professors and there would be no Longwood University. The major stakeholders in this situation are students at Longwood University. They would be the ones receiving the training and would be the ones to act in the event of a medical emergency. I’m not saying that all students should become EMTs. But if they knew how to control bleeding, what do to in the event of drug or alcohol overdose, and how to do CPR, the students at Longwood are going to be able to help one another and those in the community. Longwood prides itself in creating citizen leaders and this is a new aspect in becoming a citizen leader.

There is a limited history of collegiate EMS because a majority of schools do not require students to know basic medical information. Most large Universities like Virginia Tech and James Madison offer on-campus rescue squads, but that is hard for smaller schools like Longwood because there is typically a county rescue squad close by. I do believe that life on campus can be improved if students have a basic medical understanding and how to act in certain emergency situations.

Emergencies happen on college campuses all the time and Longwood is no exception. The most common emergencies that happen at Longwood are those influenced by drugs and alcohol, followed by falls and bleeding. If students can learn to attend to the needs of others before professional EMS providers can get on scene, students will feel closer to other students at Longwood and campus will be a safer place to be. This proposal is not meant to sway people to become paramedics or emergency room doctors. People go to school for years to learn how to treat every manner of illness. This proposal instead focuses on basic medical understanding that students would be most likely to use on a college campus. The training would include CPR, bleeding control, and alcohol/drug overdose treatment. This training would not take the place of a Rescue Squad but would instead focus on providing assistance to a patient before EMS gets on scene. Measures can be taken to help preserve the quality of life of patients and provide comfort to those patients as well.

By teaching students how to respond in the event of a medical emergency, there will be a greater sense of community on Longwood’s campus while also making it a safer place. This training can extend from Longwood into student’s hometowns where they can help in the event of an emergency there.

5 thoughts on “Once a Lancer, Always a Lancer

1. I definitely think is a good position. Your position is very logical and thought out. I like that it would be in New Lancer Days as opposed to another gen-ed class. Did you end up writing your formal letter to someone in charge of New Lancer Days?

Also, would you need to have an additional cost that incoming freshman would pay or would this be taken from the comprehensive fee? Do you know approximately how much a seminar would cost per student?

• I did write my letter to the head of New Lancer Days to get some more information from her concerning planning and scheduling. As for a fee, I believe the comprehensive fee is high enough as is so I wouldn’t want to jack it up even higher. I think it can come out of tuition. It wouldn’t be very expensive, maybe another $20 per student for the CPR certification.

2. I am aware of the classes that Longwood offers for credit, and I believe my second blog talks more in depth about it. They are currently major/minor restricted and cost extra money for students to take. My plan is to suggest working it into the New Lancer Days schedule to save the school money and make it a requirement for all Freshman so they are taught about the way to help someone very early on. I think it would be easier for it to happen this way instead of making it a gen-ed class.

3. I would say this is pretty solid. What you are proposing is in now way extreme; I think its a reasonable suggestion to make. I think that the health/fitness department actually has a basic emergency care class. I almost took it. Were you aware of that? Maybe you could look into it and suggest mainstreaming that class as a gen-ed class…but probably incorporating it into the Lancer Days program would be easier (aka: less money). Just didn’t know if you knew we actually had a class like that here! You could use that, perhaps, somehow in your proposal- maybe draw attention to the fact that we have such a class like this already but it should be something everyone has access too. I think (at least when the class was offered- not sure if it is currently) you have to pay an additional fee for the class.

As a student I have no objection to your suggestion. Sounds reasonable and beneficial. You’d have my vote!