Letter to My Senior Self

May, 2018

Dear Senior Self,

I hope that your phase of not knowing what to do with your life has come to end because you are graduating soon! I know mom being gone for almost 5 years has got to be rough, but you are a tough young woman. Look at what you’ve been through in the last 23 years of your life. I know that you can and will handle life after graduation. If we’re still on the same page, and you’re about to get a degree in Modern Languages with a concentration in Spanish K-12 licensure, you are about to make a wonderful teacher. But remember, everything is hard before it is easy. That is definitely the most important thing that we’ve learned thus far in life. This is so tricky to compose because I have no idea who you are. I could assume that we’re the same, but I know that isn’t the case. You’ve grown, struggled, gained, and changed into what I can assume is a spectacular young woman. For us, the future is a scary thing. If I were to write a letter to my senior self in high school as a freshman and get a response back, I’d be terrified. Losing my mom, gaining 100 pounds, facing foreclosure on the house. However, if I were to then get a response from my current self I would know that this past year I lost 60 pounds, made the Dean’s List for both semesters, and established a wonderful community of friends at Longwood. Thus, no matter how things are in your life currently, just remember that there will always be another door opening for you. Best wishes on your graduation and I hope that we have made each other proud.

Sincerely,

Your Former Self