Violent Games & Sleep

Posted: 6th June 2013 by Sean Bassemier in Uncategorized

Violent video games are easiest the most popular games out there.  There are hundreds of different violent games out there but they all come at a cost.  Studies have shown that kids who play violent games have higher stress levels and anxiety when they are trying to fall asleep.  These problems will lead to kids having tough times falling asleep and restless nights.  To get a complete night sleep a person needs to be completely relaxed so there is nothing on their mind.  Health.com and the Stress Research Institute at Stockholm University have done studies proving that there is a link between violent video games and sleeping habits.

In 2011, Health.com tested preschooler’s sleep problems after playing video games.  It showed that 28 percent who played at least 30 minutes of video games after 7 p.m. had sleep problems most of the nights.  For younger children their bedtime is usually 9 o’clock so their video game sessions are getting them more excited when they should be winding down and getting ready for bed.  The study also showed that evening entertainment could raise the levels of melatonin which is a hormone that is involved in the sleep-wake cycle.  Raised levels of this hormone can be caused from the brightness of the television or a computer monitor.

The other study that was done showed similar results with younger teenagers.  In the study 15 boys played a violent game and another 15 boys played a cartoon game.  The results showed that the boys who played the violent game had higher levels of stress and anxiety.  They found out that the violent game caused some sort of exhaustion but it was not the normal type of exhaustion that helps you fall asleep.  The stress that was caused impaired their sleep quality and made it hard for the teenagers to fall asleep.

People need to be aware that video games cause damage to kids when played.  You just cannot think that the game is fun for them to play.  It is making their brains work and it is having a physiological effect on them that causes problems that are not obvious to see.

Wood, Janice. N.p.. Web. 6 Jun 2013. <http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/05/07/effects-of-violent-   video-games-may-wane-the-more-they-are-played/54558.html>.

Gardner, Amanda. “Evening TV, Video Games May Cause Sleep Problems in Kids.” Health. N.p., 27 Jun 2011. Web. 6 Jun 2013. <http://news.health.com/2011/06/27/tv-sleep-problems-children/>.

1. fashionbeauty says:

very good post, i definitely love this website, carry on it

2. Gifari says:

Nice article ,This provides a lesson for me as well so do not play games at night, too long in front of the screen was not a good thing

3. assist dementia says:

Activities that a person can live a long life. We understand what dementia is and be more accepting on the bad
    days. They may lock their cupboards and misplace the keys, or putting them in the
    own right in our project on discrimination and mental health’.
    This happens when the item is of value? Applewood Our House to offer resource our support whenever family members need it, and
    I am looking forward to your visit, I thought it didn’t matter and I
    let her vent.

4. Annie Catron says:

I’m really impressed with your blog choice Sean! I was never a kid that got into video games, but I can remember back to when my brother still lived at home and played video games all the time. He and his friends would stay up all night playing video games, from the time he was in middle school to the time he left for college. He had a hard time falling asleep due to the excitement from the games, and I could never see why. I used to have a hard time falling asleep, and still do to this day. My issue comes from having a high level of melatonin but not from video games, but instead from surfing the internet while I sit in bed. I know that I’m still going to do use my computer in bed, but I’m trying to get better about how late I’m using it, to reduce the amount of melatonin that my brain is receiving, just like kids should with their video games!

• Sean Bassemier says:

The same thing happens to me at night whether I am playing video games or surfing the web. Being a boy I too have stayed up really late playing video games with friends and I had felt the effects of falling asleep. If I did this when i was younger my parents still woke me up early the next morning even if I was tired from staying up late. I now know they did that for a reason rather than just being mean. It taught me that I shouldn’t play video games all the time especially late at night unless I wanted to be really tired the next day. I think parents need to do something like this more often to teach their children there are more important things to do each day. This worked for me but it could always be different with other families.