12 Oct 2018

Data Analysis.

Posted by Victoria Gurganus

For this assignment, I wanted to investigate the claimed gender imbalance in the workplace. I used data from American Fact Finder. “Occuapation by Sex for the Civilian Employed Population 16 Years and Over” is the title of the data table I retrieved information from. I searched the United States as a whole and Virginia as a separate whole. What I found is in my link: Book1

The first table is Virginia Occupations. This is the one on the left. Below that is a pie chart covering the break down of the total employed population within each field. Below that is a pie chart breaking down males employed in each field. Below that is a pie chart breaking down females employed in each field.

On the right is the same information on a national level. The interesting thing is that the percentages are the same in each field regardless of gender. They are slightly different on the national level as compared to Virginia, but there are other states that specialize in things Virginia does not. There may be a perceived gender discrepancy within the workforce, but it is mainly due to the number of workers available.