© 2018 Conrad Brinkman

High Bridge Trail: End of the Civil War Landmark

Welcome to my first blog post! My name is Conrad Brinkman and I am a current senior at Longwood University. I am from Virginia Beach, Virginia but currently reside in Farmville, Virginia. I live in an off-campus property and love it! I enjoy the small town of Farmville and am going to introduce many places around Farmville in the next eight blogs. I will be writing about many things ranging from restaurants to ropes courses. Farmville has it all believe it or not.

The first destination on our stop around Farmville is the High Bridge Trail. The High Bridge Trail dates back to the early 1800’s when it was built. The bridge was officially opened in 1853 and served as part of the South Side Railroad. During the Civil war, years later, the bridge served as one of the major battle grounds. The Civil War took place on High Bridge Trail between April 6 and 7, 1865. The Civil War ended down the road from Farmville in a town called Appomattox.

The conversion project of the High Bridge Trail began in 2008 and completed with the final stage in 2012. The trail is 31 miles long and can be enjoyed many ways. One of the fastest ways to see the bridge and trail is by bike. If you are a Longwood University student, you may rent a bike for free from the Health and Fitness Center. Click the bike below to take you to the Longwood website to learn more about.

Another spot that you could stop at to rent a variation of bikes is located on Main St. in Farmville. The Outdoor Adventure Store has everything from helmets, bikes, clothes, yeti coolers, and skateboards. You can find out more about the shop at www.theoutdooradventurestore.com.

There are many different options to park and use the trail. All of the details can be found on the Virginia.org website. Click the image below to find out how to get to the park!

PSA: I recommend parking at the River Road lot. This can be found by taking a right turn onto River Rd. from Main St. This lot can be found 3 miles on the left, so be sure to pay attention!

Thank you for reading the first series of my Farmville Blogs! I will be posting once a week about things to do around Farmville. Stay tuned and make sure to follow me on social media @conrad.brinkman on instagram and conrad.brinkman on twitter.