Blog 1: Professional communication and a welcoming environment

Email home:

Dear Parents and/or guardians of students,

I am Ms. Southworth your students English teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. I am looking forward to teaching and learning with your student everyday this school year. I also look forward to working with you to ensure that your student is gaining everything they can out of this school year.

Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns as they may arise.  Email is best for a fast response. I will do my best to reply quickly.

Contact information:

Megan Southworth

school phone: 888-888-8888 ext 888

email: hslfjhg@lfnjsl.com

(likely an online grade book or classroom with messaging capabilities (edline, edmodo, canvas, class dojo)

Classroom rules:

Be respectful.

Take care of our room/environment/space.

For me when teaching:
Be engaging.
Grade quickly.
Always give specific feedback.
Diverse Learners:

Teaching Diverse learners is something that happens in every classroom. That means the teacher is actively using resources (song, novel, popular culture) to connect with their students and make it something they want to learn about. It also means teaching in more than one way to reach your students. While some students can learn from a power point, others will learn better when they physically get to manipulate something.

A teacher can not shy from the hard topics to discuss. It is our job to give them a safe space to discuss and the tools to discuss the hard topics respectfully. Have clear rules about what is acceptable to be said and what isn’t. Be sure it is clear who is speaking. It is okay to debate a topic but there will be no insulting another student or teacher for their opinions or questions. Do not shy from the topics that make you uncomfortable. Do not only use history to discuss hard topics, talk about current news too. The Holocaust, Trail of tears, Race, Black lives Matter, the removal of statues, glass ceilings, and so much more, are the topics of many pieces of literature and deserve to be discussed in the classroom.

Posted in Uncategorized
2 comments on “Blog 1: Professional communication and a welcoming environment
  1. Lauren Hyatt says:

I agree that social justice includes discussing topics that can be sensitive or personal, and that’s what makes them important. The teacher as well as the students have to dive into the essential, tough topics to enrich their education about the real world. The most important key to this experience would be, in my opinion, to ensure student comfortablity by preparing them for each topic and considering individual student accommodations.

2. Daniel Beecher says:

The Email home seems a tad too cookie cutter for me. Try making it a tad bit more personal. Perhaps flesh out the rules a little more.