Journal #5

November 22nd, 2017

While I have witnessed multiple communication theories throughout the duration of my internship, two were heavily prevalent during this experience as a whole. The first communication theory that I observed was the expectancy violation theory. This theory analyzes how individuals respond to expectation violations and sudden, unexpected changes in social normalities. I noticed this theory early on during my internship. It occurred most when making donor thank you phone calls. Even though I have made important, professional phone calls during past jobs, this is the first time I have contacted dignitaries and extremely generous donors and thanked them for their participation in making Longwood University a better place. Sometimes, I found myself expecting the phone calls to be mutually energetic and positive. However, occasionally, there were times where my expectation did not match the reality of the situation. While I remained positive on the phone, some individuals are not always as kind on the phone as you expect them to be. I considered these misunderstandings though, because the message along with tone can be easily misinterpreted over the phone. This realization made making phone calls a lot less nerve racking. The second communication theory that I observed was the social identity theory. When making donor thank you phone calls, I always identify myself by my full name, my office title and the office that I am associated with, being the Office of Institutional Advancement. This, in a sense, has brought me closer to Longwood and has allowed me to identify with a new group of individuals. This is my first, on campus, social tie to the University. While working on a Thanksgiving themed Thank View video, I gathered very brief video segments from random students around campus. I greeted each student or group of students in a friendly manner by telling them the office I was associated with and what my goal for them was. I felt proud to represent the Office of Institutional Advancement in such a unique way. My social identity has shifted from student to intern and I am thankful for the opportunities it has brought my way.