Journal #1

August 28th, 2017

I have been selected as the Office of Institutional Advancement’s Program Assessment & Planning Intern. As the Program Assessment and Planning Intern I will be responsible for tasks such as assessing current programs and policies regarding donor relationships, sponsors and the Office of Development. I will do this while assisting the directors and staff with the planning and coordinating of events such as scholarship luncheons, donor receptions and other recognition events related to those who support Longwood University through financial and philanthropic means.  I will also be responsible for both collecting and interpreting data to create reports to plan and better enhance advancement initiatives, activities and events.  Along with this, I will be granted access to the Raiser’s Edge data retrieval donor information system in order to call or write Longwood University donors and thank them for their contributions to the school. In addition to these duties, I will also be tasked with promoting philanthropic culture campus-wide through the development of programs and projects.  I will create professional writing and edit professional documents for the Office of Institutional Advancement such as the Advancement Internship Program Handbook, proposal requests for new programs/events, and evaluation pieces for strategies used within the Advancement Office. Lastly, I will be available to assist my internship supervisor, Penny Pairet, with various projects and tasks within the Advancement Office.

I will use my writing skills, my knowledge of communication ethics, and my interpersonal communication skills multiple times throughout this internship. The only skill I feel that I am less confident with is the event planning portion of this position.  While I have experience in customer communication and professional writing, I have never planned an event before aside from a wedding shower, one 50th anniversary vacation and a handful of birthday celebrations.  In order to acquire these skills, I plan to speak with my supervisor about the strategies, steps and requirements behind planning a large scale, professional event.  I hope to gain from this internship the knowledge of how to successfully plan and execute an event.