About Me

Filed under: Uncategorized — Samantha Edwards at 6:19 pm on Monday, December 17, 2018

Throughout my four years at Longwood University I have taken not only a variety of courses, but have also taken on various leadership positions. The courses I have taken have taught me a variety of information regarding human relations as well as science. The leadership positions I have held have furthered by human relation skills as well as my understanding of the discipline as a whole. In turn this combination of courses and leadership positions has helped me gain a substantial amount of knowledge in the field of science and human relations as well as helped me develop my own personal philosophies on leadership and work.

A few particular courses I have taken that I feel have helped me become incredibly knowledgeable l if not an expert in these fields are Human Growth and Development, Exploring Science in Our World, General Chemistry, Fundamentals of Life Sciences, Introduction to Teaching Profession: Practicum, The Dynamic Planet, Conceptual Physics, Survey of Exceptional Children, Introduction to Ethics, Hydrology, Environmental Geology, and Practicum Integration. While a majority of these courses have consisted of mainly classroom lecture, Introduction to the Teaching Profession: Practicum and Practicum Integration have actually allowed me to put the knowledge I have learned in the classroom to use in the real world.

My time spent in the classroom learning these various bits of information and skills as well as my time spent actually applying the information and skills has helped me develop my own philosophy on leadership and work. I believe that leadership either comes naturally or it is developed overtime. It is; however; not something that certain people do not have. Everyone is capable of being a leader. While I was in high school I never held any leadership positions, when I went onto college; however, that changed. In college thus far I have held two leadership roles in Sigma Kappa Sorority, Vice President of Scholarship and Assistant to the Vice President of New Member Education. I never saw myself holding leadership positions of any kind before I entered college, but as time went on my feelings changed and I excelled at the positions I held. They required me to work with all different kinds of people and taught me that you simply cannot please everyone.

In regard to work, my own experiences in the workforce have helped me develop a philosophy that hard work pays off and the harder you work at something the better you become at it. Two particular jobs I have worked were as a lifeguard and as a swim coach. When I first started these jobs I was just a regular employee, after two years; however, I was promoted due to my hard work. I believe that you should work hard at your job no matter what you position is.  The philosophies I have developed through these two work experiences as well as my leadership positions I will carry with me into my future career. I hope to develop more and even better philosophies as I progress through my future career.

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.