English 380

English 380, Children’s Literature, was a course that I was thrilled and excited to take the minute I knew it was a major requirement. I immediately worked it into my schedule for my second semester freshman year. I was lucky enough for it to be a split section, and along with two other honors students designed a poster which we presented on Research Day. We got the exciting news that we had been accepted to the conference in New Orleans to present next year, and were overjoyed. My professor Dr. McGee assigned us a number of children’s books which we read, analyzed, and discussed in terms of ideology both active and passive. My most important take-away from the course was to never attempt to read like a child because in order to do so you assume what a typical child is like which is harmful. I learned to analyze children’s books as they are without attempting to think how my idea of a typical child would which will make me an all around better educator in the future. Children’s Literature turned out to be everything I hoped for and more. The artifact I have included was the poster my partners and I designed as part of our split section honors project. We each wrote essays analyzing a banned and challenged author, and I chose Shel Silverstein and then combined our findings together.

https://livelongwood-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/alaina_bierman_live_longwood_edu/EdteWpIPULdHvz1P4ucfaMsBCamkyqeWJXm-2sihTr0TzA?e=4%3aZhGuLq&at=9