Letter to Senior Self

Dear Future Bailey,

I cannot believe that you are about to graduate from undergraduate school at Longwood University. I want you to take a moment to reflect on all that you have experienced during your time here. Think about your thoughts, fears, and excitement about your first night ever spent at Longwood. Think about the first class you ever stepped into. Think about the first friends you made on campus. Think about the day you rushed Alpha Delta Pi. Think about the excitement your felt when Ambassadors came to your door singing about how proud they were of you. Think about all that you have accomplished during your time here. I know you have made your mark both academically and socially, and for that I am so proud.

I hope your dreams of becoming a teacher are stronger as ever. This is a dream you have held onto since you barely started elementary school. In just a few short months (or years?) you will have a classroom of your own. I know you will be more than willing to help these students in any way that you can. Reflect on all the opportunities Longwood has given you to become the best teacher in Virginia. You are so prepared and so ready to do this on your own. It is your time to prove society’s perception of teachers wrong. It is your time to empower less fortunate students who did not grow up with the same resources as yourself. You are confident, smart, and inspired by others. You will excel in your career and I am confident in this.

Before going into the real world, I want to offer some advice. First, always always always be yourself. Before entering college, you were unsure of this. You had a hard time being independent and did not know how to always carry yourself. However, this quickly changed as you entered school here at Longwood. You found YOU. You realized your abilities, your strengths and weaknesses, and what makes you happy. You discovered how much you were worth; ALWAYS remember this feeling. Next, keep a positive mindset. There will be always times that are hard, but remember how positive you stayed throughout your entire life. Life will and does move on, whether you are ready are not. Finally, do not let anyone bring you down. Your spirit and heart is one that does not compare; never take this for granted. You are so special and loved by so many and I hope you always acknowledge this.

Future Bailey, I cannot wait to be you. I am so excited to see what the future entails. In the meantime, LIVE IT UP here!

Love always,

Your Past Self

Reflection of Letter to Senior Self

As I reread the letter to my senior self, I cannot help but feel a little emotional. It is hard for me to believe that this upcoming year will be my last at Longwood. I soon will have to leave the comfort of all of my favorite friends, professors, classes, places to eat, etc. My life will be forever changed in the best way, but I know that I will miss it so much.

In my four years at Longwood, I have truly accomplished more than I thought possible. To connect with the honors pillars, I believe that I have tried my hardest to uphold community, scholarship, and service. For community, I have become an open-minded, compassionate, and courageous friend. I have opened myself up to make new people, organizations, and experiences at Longwood, all of which have had such large impacts on my life. Additionally, I have made scholarship a priority since the day I stepped foot on campus. I have excelled in my classes, making sure to put my best effort into all that I do. Finally, I have given back to the Longwood, Farmville, and Richmond community through volunteering with Alpha Delta Pi, Order of Omega, Mortar Board, and the Longwood Ambassadors.

My time here has been nothing short of amazing, and I will truly cherish my experiences here forever. Reading the letter above made me so proud of myself for having such strong goals and beliefs even years ago. I hope to continue to make my past self as proud as ever!

Here’s to the Lancers!