Course Journals

In the course there was a lot of discussion on rhetoric and the concepts surrounding it. Out of the various things that I learned about it, arguably one of the most important things was: given the correct intended audience, it can be extremely powerful if worded correctly. In order to word rhetoric correctly, the intended audience, as well as the message, must be kept in mind. Tailoring the wording of the rhetoric around those factors makes it extremely helpful in the attempt to reach, and impact the intended audience. The course concepts that these journal entries fall under are Course Concepts #2: Understand the nature of public discourse/debate as determined by purpose, audience, and context; and #1: Understand the nature of public discourse/debate as determined by purpose, audience, and context. These journals entries look at the text and analyze how the text is worded along with the noted intended audience making it effective. For my journal entries, I delved into a variety of rhetorical artifacts and key concepts including symbols and language. After reading deeper into the text and analyzing the rhetorical elements that it contained, I was able to delve deeper into the meaning and intended message of the text by “reading between the lines”.