Posts RSS Comments RSS

My Identity

How do you feel about writing?

I love writing, and I’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember. When I was eight, I wrote my first book. It was a really short one- about ten chapters long. It was an adventure that followed the story of a game my cousins and I played habitually. We all had a gift with one element (my name was always Aquamarine, and I was good with water) and we used them to fight evil. It was short and lame, but I loved it. I designed the cover and titled chapters and I loved it. I felt like the most creative individual around.

@Twitter

Art and skill of a digital writer

is to understand audience and situation

bt 2 b shrt

#notablog

What is Bad Writing Instruction?

Most people have a very clear idea of what bad writing instruction looks like. Everybody has an English class from way back when that they absolutely hated. You imagine a teacher you hated or a class you failed. I actually grew up loving writing, but even I had one of those classes. It was my sixth grade year, and my teacher that year was a brand new teacher- let’s call her Ms. Smith.One of the reasons I was so excited about middle school was that I’d finally have a class that was only English. I wouldn’t have to spend so much of my writing time on other subjects. I definitely wrote in the fifth grade, but not the way I wanted to. Some of my big writing assignments were to write the proposal for my science experiment, and writing things like math word problems. Those were both great activities, but I was so excited to have a class where it was only about writing and reading. Obviously Ms. Smith disagreed. She tried to work with our teachers from other classes as much as she could. So I spent another whole year writing about other subjects. I hated it. I was so happy to move up to the seventh grade. I loved my seventh grade English class.

One response so far

One Response to “My Identity”

1. Alana says:

I love the direction you’re going but I would it if you elaborated more on how you would teach your students to better use technology and be more creative with your lessons.