The Missing White Woman “obsession” : If you’re a young, beautiful woman, the media has you covered

What do you think of when you hear the names of Natalee Holloway, Laci Peterson, and Chandra Levy? If none of those names ring a bell, then take a look at the pictures you see below. If this gives you a better idea of who these people are, then you have probably seen their faces […]

The girl with more guy friends

The girl with more guy friends

“I have more guy friends because girls are just too dramatic for me.” I’m sure many of you have heard some version of this statement come from a girl’s mouth at some point in your life. Despite contrary beliefs, men and women often times form harmonious friendships where both people benefit and appreciate the friendship. […]

About Michelle

About Michelle

Hello everyone! My name is Michelle Mannino and I am a Senior communication studies major with a concentration in mass media  at Longwood University. I’ve lived in Fairfax, Virginia for the majority of my life and I am interested in continuing to live in the northern Virginia/ D.C. area after I graduate next spring.  This […]

Re-Blogging

Re-Blogging

According to Ken Doctor (2010), the author of Newsonomics, the 7th out of 12 laws he determines that are shaping our news world today is how Reporters are now becoming more avid bloggers. It seems like any credible news reporter also has their own blog-site where they write stories sometimes twice or more a week. […]

How Major Newspaper Companies are Staying Alive

An hour a day is the amount of news most Americans are consuming every day, which according to author of Newsonomics, Ken Doctor says is about the same amount of news Americans consumed 10 years ago (Doctor 2010).  Even though the average American has kept the statistical measurement of one hour a day of news […]

Columbine vs. VA Tech Shooting: The Media Frenzy

Columbine High school will always be recognized as one of the most tragic shooting massacres in history. On the morning of Tuesday April 20, 1999 Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris entered their high school armed and eager to kill. With their intentions of killing most people with strategically placed pipe […]

Hey, can you turn that down?

Hey, can you turn that down?

Have you ever noticed how television commercials are so much louder than the actual show you’re watching? This is a very common technique used by advertisers to try and gain the attention of the viewers in a room. This blatant advertising technique is not just used on programs for adults, but is also used in […]

Animals Strike Back: A closer look at animals used in 2012 Super Bowl Commercials

The Hyundai “Cheetah” advertisement for the Veloster Turbo was shown during the first quarter of the 2012 Super Bowl.  After watching this advertisement about five or six times, I started to construct a better understanding about what this ad really was saying to the audience. Hyundai is obviously in charge of sponsoring this advertisement, with […]

True Life: I announced my relationship status to the entire Facebook community

After a few weeks of dating each other, Jack and Jill became what is called “Facebook Official”. One day after a nice date between the two, Jane logged onto her Facebook page and saw that there was a pending relationship request from Jack. She immediately picked up the phone to call me and inform me […]