© 2012 Meghan Roan

Dating and Social Media: Is it real?

Now that almost everything can be done electronically and over the internet, we are adding dating to the list. Not only can you shop, connect to the World Wide Web, communicate with people all over the world, we have to now add dating to one of the many things we do online. Dating is one act that I was certain was never going to make it into something I can do online. Since I was allowed to start dating, I knew that if I wanted someone to notice me I had to look good to catch their eye, until online dating can along. Now, you can date without ever leaving the comfort of your home while being in the comfort of your sweatpants!

But, is dating online real? Are those people really telling you who they are?

Greg Hodge wrote on the Huffington Post that half of the people on dating sites lie about their information somehow. Women are more likely to lie on their dating site profile ten percent more than men. This is not to say that men don’t lie because they do, but they lies are more about their job status than their looks.

These are the top lies that both men and women tell on their online dating profiles from the Huffington Post:

Top 10 Lies Told by Men

1. Job (better than it is)
  2. Height (taller)
  3. Weight (losing a few pounds)
  4. Physique (athletic)
  5. Money
  6. More senior than they really are at work
  7. Interesting profession
  8. Knowing celebrities
  9. Having an assistant or employees
  10. Working in the film industry

Top 10 Lies Told by Women

1. Weight (losing a few pounds)
  2. Age (losing a few years)
  3. Physique (toned)
  4. Height
  5. Money
  6. Bust (gaining proportions)
  7. Glamorous profession
  8. Knowing celebrities
  9. Having an assistant or employees
  10. Working in entertainment

What is our opinion now about going on a dating site instead of finding someone the old fashion way? Where is it not as easy to lie.

4 Comments

1. investing safely
    Posted February 16, 2014 at 8:12 am | #

Hello! I just would like to give you a big thumbs up for the great info you have got right
    here on this post. I will be returning to your blog for
    more soon.

2. Colleen Cofer
    Posted November 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm | #

I personally do not think that I would ever go on an online dating site because I think meeting someone for the first time is half the rush of a new relationship. However, I understand why people are on online dating site: not a lot of time, new in town, etc. When it comes to lying on your dating profile, I honestly do not see the point. If you are truly trying to find someone to be with there is no need to lie. The people you are matched with and you like are going to meet you. If I lied about my height or weight it would be apparent at first glance. Online dating is a new phenomenon that I do not think with fade.

3. Xavier Harrison
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm | #

Online dating has soo many risks that the participants must be aware of before doing so. If someone doesn’t have the proper mental equipment to filter through the lies or false light, then online dating becomes a negative thing. I, too, immediately thought of MTV’s recently launched show Catfish. This show will not online shine light on the reality of online dating, but will show it’s young audience that you must be aware of the risks and dangers of doing so.
    I see nothing wrong with online dating as long as the individuals are smart about it and will not cause harm to any parties involved.

4. H. Hudson
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 5:57 pm | #

It’s coincidental that you brought up this topic for a blog. MTV just launched a new T.V. series the other night called Catfish. Basically, a camera crew and one main guy finds people who are in online dating relationships but have NEVER met the person actually IN person. So, they go and find the person’s boyfriend/girlfriend and on this week’s pilot episode it featured a girl who had been dating a man who was a model for over 8 months, turns out when they went to the “man’s” house, it was an 18 year old girl all along. The woman was so hurt because she had been lied to all this time. That whole situation really blew my mind, but it happens so often, because people don’t always tell little white lies such as their weight online, but they might be lying about literally who they are. I think online dating is great if it works out for that person, but it absolutely is such a huge risk.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>