Finally got my first plugin, Sitewide Recent Images, onto wordpress.org today. It was a bit more involved than I thought as they use Subversion for file transfers and I’m not all that familiar with it. It seems to me that nearly all (and perhaps even all) of the functionality that SVN is providing here could have been done easier with FTP. But mostly just filling out all the various descriptions for the plugins page took the most time.
I did find a couple bugs when I converted the code into a proper plugin, though. One was basically that I didn’t initialize the widget properly, which didn’t matter when the code was included via the theme but did matter in the plugin–something about timing when code is called. Another problem I realized but haven’t fixed yet is that the plugin is really only compatible with multisite. I’m trying to decide on my solution to this: check for multisite and exit code preemptively if it isn’t, or check for multisite and alter the algorithm to work on standalone blogs. I guess standalone blog users would find such a plugin equally as useful, but there may already be other plugins for that or the algorithm will require too much change to make it feasible for me.