«

»

Nov 10

Sitewide Recent Images now on WordPress.org

Finally got my first plugin, Sitewide Recent Images, onto wordpress.org today.  It was a bit more involved than I thought as they use Subversion for file transfers and I’m not all that familiar with it.  It seems to me that nearly all (and perhaps even all) of the functionality that SVN is providing here could have been done easier with FTP.  But mostly just filling out all the various descriptions for the plugins page took the most time.

I did find a couple bugs when I converted the code into a proper plugin, though.  One was basically that I didn’t initialize the widget properly, which didn’t matter when the code was included via the theme but did matter in the plugin–something about timing when code is called.  Another problem I realized but haven’t fixed yet is that the plugin is really only compatible with multisite.  I’m trying to decide on my solution to this: check for multisite and exit code preemptively if it isn’t, or check for multisite and alter the algorithm to work on standalone blogs.  I guess standalone blog users would find such a plugin equally as useful, but there may already be other plugins for that or the algorithm will require too much change to make it feasible for me.

Download Sitewide Recent Images from WordPress.org

8 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Ken

I get this same issue, actually. The plugin install completes, and the network activation throws no errors. Yet (as can be seen on the main page of my site, ultimacodex.com), the widget displays no images.

I am currently using a multisite (network) setup, with images posted to a couple of blogs in the network (see, for example, the network’s gallery). As far as I know and can tell, I haven’t enabled privacy options on any of these sites, so I’m not sure why the widget isn’t displaying anything.

Thoughts?

1. Assuming you’re right about your blog being multisite, my only other thought would be the version you’re using. We’re stuck at 3.1 here since newer versions require PHP 5.3+ and thus I haven’t been able to test with anything newer than 3.1.4. Thanks for the report, Ken. Hoping to make an update to this plugin soon.

1. Ken

Definitely running multisite (and loving the centralized plugin and update management features), and also running the very latest WordPress version. I use Hyper Cache for caching — don’t know if that could be the issue (seems doubtful), but for completeness’ sake, there it is.

I am running PHP 5.3 as well, if memory serves.

I’ll keep checking back; I’d very much like to add this plugin to my main site (and possibly some of the other sites in the network).

1. Cool. I’ll let you know if I figure something out. Like the site, BTW. History of gaming is always interesting.

2. Stefan

Is there a simple way to recode this plugin to create a gallery of recent site wide images on a page, instead of just in a side bar? — or short code to put in the page html, or code to insert in a page template to make such a gallery? I suspect I would not be alone in finding that useful. Great work, by the way, on the plugin.

1. An interesting query. I’m not sure how simple it would be, though. You’ll have to take out all the widget-specific code and replace the widget settings save/load procedures. Then you’d still have the trouble of making a page to edit the options unless you want to hard-code it. But the main algorithm in the widget() function will still work the same. The whole process could take about 4 hours if you know what you’re doing.

3. fa1610

Hello, I try to install this plugin, all is well, but the widget displays nothing:
    Should we do something in addition to activate it? There is no menu setting: Maybe this only works for new content published after activating the plugin?
    thanks !

1. This comment seems kinda spammy, but I’ll answer anyways I guess.

Just adding the widget should be enough to show the recent images–it doesn’t need configuration. It should display all content, old and new, but remember that post and blog privacy settings do affect the visibility of content in the widget. Also, the WordPress install has to be multisite with the current version of this plugin.