CTZN 110: Social Issues in Film

My classmates Heidi and Claire on our stop for coffee after arriving at the film festival. October 26, 2019.
The Virginia Film Festival theatre in Charlottesville, VA. October 26, 2019.

These two photos were taken on my field trip for my Citizen 110 honors class. Led by our professor, Dr. Nez, two classmates and I piled into his car for a trip to Charlottesville for the Virginia Film Festival. In the car, we engaged in thoughtful conversations that touched upon music, philosophy, social issues, and female empowerment. I remember being blown away by Dr. Nez’s willingness to have such a close relationship with his students. He is the definition of a fantastic mentor. During our time at the festival, we watched two incredible films, but I struggled with conceptualizing some of the ideas within them. After watching, I confessed to Dr. Nez that I could tell that there were obvious messages, but that I could not pinpoint or articulate them. To my surprise, Dr. Nez offered a particularly underwhelming response. He too, was unsure of what to make of some of the concepts within the films. The point of me sharing this anticlimactic story is that this experience taught me a lot about how to go about problem solving. Dr. Nez explained that he does not always have the answers, or may not know how to go about teaching something. To help him overcome his problems in understanding or teaching, he relies on theories. This way, problem solving is all about using resources that you already have to troubleshoot the unfamiliar. I started using this framework to analyze films we would use in class and to help me answer his impossibly conceptual questions he would pose to us. I stopped looking at the unfamiliar as something daunting. Instead, learning new things was liberating. I fully attribute all of my experiences in this class as part of my motivation for my newest hobbies and for my reenergized desire to learn. Dr. Nez is a true intellectual and he is one of the most phenomenal speakers I have ever heard, yet he has the most humble and kind spirit. I could go on for days about every aspect of this class.Citizen 110 was my favorite class from this year, and I will forever hold it close to my heart.

Link to home page.