Career #2

Personal Trainer: 

What is a Personal Trainer?

A personal trainer is an individual certified to have a varying degree of knowledge of general fitness involved in exercise prescription and instruction. They motivate clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability to clients.

Personal Training Origin: 

Serious fitness training dates back to the ancient Greeks who trained and held athletic events such as the Olympic Games, which started in 776 B.C. Personal training has a long history but only has recently become a viable career path. In the 1980s, personal training became a popular career choice. However, the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) did not recognize the first nationally accredited personal training certificate until 1996.

Academic Preparation for this Career:

The educational requirements for personal trainers are fairly relaxed; you might be able to enter the field after earning a high school education and completing a few classes or receiving training from an experienced personal trainer. However, some employers may require you to hold an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in fitness-related fields, such as exercise science or kinesiology. There are also certifications Personal Trainers need/should have:

•  NASM (National Academy of sports medicine)
  •  ISSA (International Sports Sciences Association)
  • ACE (American Council on Exercise)
  • ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)
  • NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association)

All of these certifications are not required but encouraged. The more Certifications that one has the greater the job opportunities they will have.

Job Setting: 

• Apartment Complexes.
  • Community Centers.
  • Online Training.
  • Outdoor Boot Camps.
  • Corporate Wellness.
  • Resorts and Cruise Ships.
  • Athletic Performance Centers.
  • Client’s Home.

The average Salary of a Personal Trainer: 

The median annual salary of a Personal Trainer is $56,875. Although annual  salaries range from a low of $28k to a high of $81k.

Personal Trainers salaries depend on many factors including:

• Geographic location
  • Education level
  • Certifications
  • Experience level
  • Specialization

Future:

Personal training is a growing industry. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that jobs in personal training and fitness instruction will increase by 24%  by 2020, this rate is faster than the average 14% expansion for all occupations.

Image result for personal trainer resume"
My resume compared to a Personal Trainers professional resume is different. I don’t have any of the training and experience they do, or the credentials/ Certifications.  I do however have the same grades and some of the same academic achievements such as my GED. I also have experience around athletes and sports. To make my resume more like a Personal Trainers I need to have certifications complete and more jobs that are related to sports and athletic training. Although I don’t need a degree for this profession I want to finish my Kinesiology degree so I have more opportunities when applying for jobs.