Farmers Resistance to a Solution (Blog #8)

Farmers are an important part of the pollution in the Chesapeake Bay.

My solution for the pollution issue in the Chesapeake Bay, due to agricultural runoff, is to incorporate cost effective conversations practices to all the farms in Virginia and Maryland that we possibly can. These practices are streamside buffers, stream side fencing, nutrient management plans, continuous no-till, and cover crops. My solutions take lots of time and money to efficiently enforce but without them pollution will continue to occur. Another issue with putting my solution into force is the farmers complying with these solutions.

Farmers bring the resistance in this issue. Their resistance is based on a few things. One is they believe they won’t produce the same amount of crops as they do with chemical fertilizers. Two continuous no till and cover crops also produce a different amount of crops or it could harm their business in general. The farmers resistance is more of a moral resistance rather than political. There also can be other resistance to this idea coming from environmentalists or land owners in Virginia near streams and rivers. This is because the fencing and buffers add a change to the land and this change might not be accepted by all because it doesn’t keep the area as visually appealing as before. However, this resistance could easily be changed if many different people come together to persuade and convince them how much this will help the pollution problem in the bay.

I believe farmers are the most resistant to these solutions, this because these solutions could affect their business and their lives. Like most business owners, the success of their business is what matters most to them and other factors are pushed aside. If locals of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake Bay enthusiasts come together then there is a better chance to persuade more farmers to implement these practices. Resistance needs to be diminished between farmers and the solution practices in order for pollution to be decreased.

4 thoughts on “Farmers Resistance to a Solution (Blog #8)

1. Kelsey Garletts says:

I believe everyone needs the chesapeake bay, it is a very important estuary in virginia, you have a great point! I have looked into different options that offer the same amount of crops and less pollution and plan to discuss them in my proposal!

2. megan clements says:

I agree though that farmers sound like your biggest road block. Have you looked into alternative methods that could yield the same amount of profit for them, or something close to it? I feel like they may need some big incentive in order to risk loss of profits.

3. megan clements says:

what do you think would be a strong point for “different people” to come together and argue in their defense of the change as a positive? What do you think would sound convincing to the farmers? It’s just a little vague, what you’re suggesting.

4. McKenzie Davis says:

I really like this, I totally agree! The farmers of course are not going to want to adbide by this because it may hurt their land and/or production of crops. However, if pollution continues then there may not be anymore land where crop are produced. I do have a question: Do the farmers need the Chesapeak Bay in order to grow their crops? That would be a good spin, if the farmers keep polluting the bay then one day there will be no bay which means no crops. I see where farmers may not enjoy the look of the fencing, however, the governemt should step in and make this a law. Fencing should become a law if it does not affect the outcome of the farmers crops, pollution needs to stop!