Study Abroad

Spring 2019. Grenoble, France. 

I was terrified to study abroad in France. I was scared to see how little French I actually knew, and I was scared to leave behind my friends and family. I was scared to end up alone.

But my study abroad trip ended up being a worthwhile endeavor, and I proved my language skills to myself and I made lasting friendships.

The Language:

Speaking French comes naturally to me, but I lack the precision in my accent, grammar, and vocabulary so I do not consider myself fluent. Going to France, I had hoped to change all this. I was originally placed in B1.4, but advocated for myself, and moved up to B1.6. (Languages are typically measured on a scale from A1 to C2. A1-2 is beginner, B1-2 is intermediate, and C1-2 is fluent/native). I found B1.6 to be easy still, but my window to change classes had passed. Still, I learned dozens of new vocabulary words and reviewed topics I was less confident in. I additionally took Culture and Society, Civilizations and Mythology, Introduction to French Literature, and Lexique.

Unfortunately, I became complacent with classes. They were easy for me, but I chose not to push myself outside of classes. Coming home from this trip, and having time to reflect, I am regretful I did not take advantage of the resources and opportunities to improve my language skills. And I am regretful that I do not feel as if I have improved substantially, as I had imagined I would.

However, complacency is not a permanent personality trait. Thus, I am motivated and ready to push myself harder outside of classes. I am eager to read novels and learn new vocabulary, to practice new grammar rules, and to explore resources available to aide my language acquisition.

The People:

Christine welcomed me into her home for four months. She was patient, kind, and warm. I am grateful to her, because she gave me more than a place to stay. She was a friend, a confidant, and an amassador of French culture.

I also met two amazing girls from Texas and Ohio, and got to know another from Longwood. These three encourage me, as I encouraged them, to make mistakes and to be adventurous. Together we saw dozens of cities, tried new foods, and met wonderful people.

Personal Growth 

Spending every day with these new friends helped me to see who I was as a person. And it wasn’t always pretty. I had a few wake-up calls and realized I wasn’t the person I thought I was. But their encouragement helped me to evaluate and change. I am working on being more patient, kind, and understanding.