Spring Internship Portfolio

During my spring 2020 semester at Longwood University, I completed an internship as a videographer for Longwood’s Marketing and Communications department. This internship helped me to achieve a number of things, and the first thing it helped me with was gaining knowledge on how videography works in a professional setting rather than in an academic setting, and I now have gained experience in the professional setting as well. Most, if not all of our videos for classes had a set deadline that we had to work around, but this was not the case when working on videos for this internship. Some videos had deadlines and some did not, and this really helped me improve my time management skills because I had to be getting these things done by a reasonable time without being given a guideline. This internship also helped me learn how to edit faster and more efficiently. One of the things that we would do is my supervisor would give me raw footage from a video that he had already published and he would watch me edit it and give me feedback on how to improve what I was doing, as well as guide me in the right direction. Another skill that this internship gave me was experience and knowledge of how to better shoot live events. For classes, most of the videos we make are scheduled interviews and gathering staged b-roll or b-roll that can be shot whenever, but most of the videos we would shoot for this internship were live events that would only happen once. This means that at the event, you would have one chance to film the main event/interviews and one chance to film the b-roll, so you have to get an abundance of footage to make sure you will have enough usable content.

The samples of my work are all videos. These videos include events such as MLK Service Day, an Oktoberfest spirit video, and the men’s basketball team touring the Moton Museum. Unfortunately, a large portion of the videos that we had been working on at the time that COVID-19 begun to rapidly rise in Virginia were either cancelled or put on hold, so I don’t have access to some of the things that I was working on for the future, but some of those things included editing departmental videos for their promotional use, planning to make videos to highlight certain clubs, and videos for events that had either just happened or future events that were eventually cancelled, such as the scholarship dinner and the alumni awards.

This was the Oktoberfest spirit video that I had previously mentioned, for which I assisted filming b-roll for.

MLK Challenge 2020

Aaron Barksdale '21 reflects on what it means to participate in the MLK Service Challenge and honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posted by Longwood University on Thursday, January 23, 2020

This was the MLK Service Day video that I had previously mentioned, for which I filmed all interviews and all b-roll.

This was the video previously mentioned for the men’s basketball team’s tour of the Moton Museum, for which I assisted in the filming of the interviews as well as filming some b-roll.

As mentioned before, there were more videos currently being produced, but the production of those videos came to a pause due to issues caused by COVID-19.

Me filming at the scholarship dinner.