Just another Longwood Blogs sitePosts RSS Comments RSS

June 28 Reflection

June 28 Reflection

June 28

The first three chapters in Duke’s book, Reading and Writing Genre with Purpose in K-8 Classrooms, were very helpful.  Duke suggests that teachers need to teach to write towards a real-world problem.  This would give students’ writing a purpose instead of just giving filler assignments.  Duke stated, “Teaching genre with purpose means creating compelling, real-world purposes for students to use genres and then providing instruction in genre features and strategies to serve those purposes” (Duke, 2012, p. 2).  She also suggests that there is too much focus on standardized tests, and a classroom should invite reading and writing instruction.

Students are growing up knowing about genre from their TV shows, movies, and books.  Teacher can merely reinforce genre and help widen the range of genres the students read and write about.  Duke wrote that genre is in every piece of literature and has evolved throughout time.  I believe students should be introduced to every kind of genre, so they are at least aware that different genres are out there.  Duke recommends that a teacher change genres for different students.  Not every student is on the same level, so not every genre would be appropriate for each student.

The Common Core standards state that students should learn and read from a variety of different texts to prepare them for college and careers.  I like this standard because I believe students should be well versed in all types of genres.  I enjoyed what Duke stated about narrative texts.  “Rather than using narrative exclusively to dig into students’ personal pasts, these projects employ narratives for all sorts of other real-word purposes like sharing and comparing family cultural experiences and exploring the significance of events and places in the community” (Duke, 2012, p. 28).  Finally, chapter three on procedural texts had good ideas about how to introduce them into your classroom.  When I was in fifth grade, I had to present a procedural activity to my class.  I taught my class how to set a table correctly.  I remember going step-by-step, so my classmates were able to learn.  I plan to use the techniques presented in chapters one through three to teach reading and writing with multiple genres.

4 responses so far

4 Responses to “June 28 Reflection”

1. Gena says:

Great graphics! I also love your idea about using what students know to teach genre. I used episodes of “Full House” to teach more things than I care to admit, but my ninth graders LOVED it and understood the concepts.

2. Joshua Burtner says:

I too think that students should read as much as possible from as many different genres as they can. They should also write in the same way. I think that it is important for students to have something to write about that they believe in as well. I have never had to write something like you did in fifth grade, but I like that idea, especially for younger students. That sounds like a great way to get students into writing and prepare them for future years. I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks!

3. Anna Sink says:

I agree that teachers should change genres for different students, because it is not fair to hold students back and it is not fair to push students who are not ready. I think a big problem with today’s youth is that they do not have much common sense because they are only learning what is going to be on a standardized test, not real life problems. I also think it is a great idea to teach many different genres to my future students.

I am having a harder time with this book compared to the first, but you post cleared some things up for me, so thanks!

-Annabeth Sink

4. Sarah Hutton says:

I found it interesting that you had to explain how to set a table. I had to write in middle school directions to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I remember how my teacher followed our directions word for word to show how literal we must be. I agree with you in that the book provides much better examples to teach procedural writing. I think that the classroom library should provide examples of all different genres so that the students have the exposure.