Summary and Response: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted

Nichole Brown

Professor Feagan

10195

12 September 2012

Blog Post 1 Summary and Response

Using the internet has become one of the most important factors in the way in which people live today; therefore, social media, like Facebook and YouTube, are some of the main ways that people communicate with one another. Before the age of technology, information was spread in person or by action. When society was faced with challenges like civil-rights movements, people could not simply click a button and believe that their problems were fixed. This passage strongly argues that there is a difference in the way activism was viewed during the sixties verses today. Boycotts, sit-ins, and protests spread like wildfire but usually among closely affiliated friends and the movements took efficient time to form. Demonstrations could last years, yet, today information can spread to thousands of people in seconds due to the amount of acquaintances and even strangers people tend to socially network with. Traditional activism provided strong-ties while current activism favors weak-ties among people.

Society today depends heavily on social networks and communicating to people through impersonal interactions. Although I have personally witnessed a group of people come together and stand up for their beliefs, I will agree that the form of activism is extremely different than it was fifty years ago. Using social networks to inform people of an issue is a larger more effective strategy of spreading information around; although, the impact of the information cannot be clearly determined by having hundreds of Facebook friends “Like” an issue. Activism involves a group of people who share common beliefs to come together to truly demonstrate their side of a conflict. Social media has weakened the depth of certain issues in today’s society by increasing the number of people who pretend to be involved.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 1: Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Summary and Response: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted

1. Jake Kelly says:

You’re spot on. The use of social media is best served for the purpose of informing rather than getting people to actually participate meaningfully in activism. It is definitely a different style of protest and social participation than the older style of activism.

2. Eric Maziarski says:

I really like your post and thoughts about social media. I agree with your idea that social media has weakened issue’s in society today because of the people pretending to be involved. I believe that social media is the most popular base for an evolution of social activists.

3. Sydney Gaver says:

I completely agree with you in your statement that activism has to be a group of people coming together and working for their side of the problem. I definitely think that people do pretend to care about something or pretend to get involved just through social media today. I also enjoy how you pointed out that social media is made up of most impersonal interactions!

4. Meggan Williams says:

I enjoyed reading your post. It made me look at this article in a different perspective other than what I read it as. I strongly agree with your statement that demonstrations could last a while but now information can spread in seconds because of social networks.

5. Jaci says:

I think you made a lot of strong points in your response to the article. I agree that social media does get information out faster and easier. I also agree that, that aspect is one of the few advantages of using social media as activism. Another point that I agreed with was the fact that social media is negatively effecting activism. In my opinion, people that “like” or “share” certain issues on facebook believe that they are making a difference, but in actuality, they aren’t doing anything to help or change the problem. By thinking they are actually making a difference, social media decreases the chance of that person doing something thats actually productive.

6. Maggie Deacon says:

I would like to agree that the forms of activism now are extremely different than they were then however, I would like to also disagree that this is weakened the depth of issues in todays society. Consider the saying, “strength in numbers”, perhaps these people may not all go out into the world and make this change but by doing simple things on the internet could surface the issue so the people who feel strong about it can speak up for all the people. We are all also creating blogs talking about how we agree or disagree about these articles on social websites, which gives us a chance to expand our knowledge on these ideas and strengthen our beliefs.